PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
9b5a5a2c-8ac1-42c1-8878-cd418d299bfb_zps1cbc5e5e.png

Mutual of Omaha’s Wild Kingdom, I think it was. Loved watching it as a kid. It’s where I heard – right or wrong – that gazelle do not fear the lion who has fed. And lions only eat about once every 10 days.
Well, I know I share the lion’s content while I’m smoking a pipe. And backyard nature proves it to me.
Like tonight. I was smoking my meerschaum-lined Grabow with Capt. Black in the backyard, listening to the rumbles of approaching storms and watching the scud running counter to higher level clouds, noting their shear, predicting that if not us, someone down the line was in for some weather.
In those sprinkles ahead of the main storm line, softly sipping at my pipe, around the neighbor’s garage here comes a’hoppin’ Mr. Cottontail.
He wasn’t worried about me in the least. “See the big fat old man? He’s smoking a pipe. Ain’t no way in hell he’s getting up out of that comfy backyard lounge to come bug a rabbit.”
And he was right. Soft curls of smoke, as I watched him run up to a spent dandelion just in front of my chair, snip it low, let it wheel toward the ground as he nibbled it up to the dead dandelion head, and hop to the next one.
Only 10 feet from me, not worried at all. Moving from dandelion stalk to dandelion stalk.
Then out of the corner of my eye, here comes a squirrel. And another squirrel. Up the wooden fence, then tackling each other and falling to the ground, follow-the-leader up the cottonwood and jumping to the walnut, down and under the camper, behind the patio set, and right past me.
House sparrows make their final run before the storm, flitting right past my face, dipping arches from wherever they were to the soffits of the garage just behind me, then out again to whatever they're after.
The detail I can see on these creatures. Every hair. The highlights in their eyes. I see them now, as I recall them for you. Zoomed in now on their eyes, the workings of their nose and jaws and faces as they watch me back. No more afraid of me than they are of the chair I’m sitting in. I’m Marlin Perkins of the city. Respectful and harmless.
I can’t help but think they know the universal rule: “Only the hungry predator chases you to your death. The ones just fed or smoking, they are harmless. Carry on. Carry on.”
A pipe signifies peace to the world, even the animal world.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
12pups, I like this little story, and I remember Marlin Perkins and Wild Kingdom. As I remember too, his show was a little more laid back than the fast action outdoor wildlife shows we have today. I too usually smoke outside on our front porch and watch nature happen. We live in a rural area and there is always something to watch. Birds on the feeders, squirrels, rabbits, deer, and our dog for that matter. I like to read, but sometimes just being quiet with your own thoughts is very relaxing.

Keep on puffin! :puffpipe:

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Yes!
And I also got to employ the strategy of smoking my pipe upside down (because of the light rain). It smokes a little differently that way. I need to keep trying this and then write up what that difference is.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
Or not. On a trip to Botswana we stayed in a lodge by a river with semi-permanent tents as rooms. Nothing but canvas between you & the Great Outdoors. At dinner we heard lions roaring about 200 yards away as they came down to the river to drink. In the morning when we left our room to head for the dining area there were HUGE lion prints on the path! 8O Needless to say, one of the cardinal rules is don't leave your room at night. :mrgreen:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
“See the big fat old man? He’s smoking a pipe. Ain’t no way in hell he’s getting up out of that comfy backyard lounge to come bug a rabbit.”
“Only the hungry predator chases you to your death. The ones just fed or smoking, they are harmless. Carry on. Carry on.”
Best quotes ever...I think I'll put one on an old wood plank and mount it in my man den. With you as the author of course.
-Jason

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
LOL
Thanks guys. Enjoyed the vision of the roadrunner and coyote, too. Dead on. Saw my first one covering top hole contractors out near Midland-Odessa. Very pleased at the encounter.
No, ravkesef, unless the lion is smoking a pipe, I'd been pumping adrenaline till it squirted out my ears hunting one.
Voorhees, you're welcome to 'em!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have an all-gray Maine Coon (long haired, of course, rescued as a kitten from a drain pipe) who has

an incredibly lion-like profile. Lots of nose leather, great big green eyes, and quite a mane.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
Smoking on the dock, had this great, big old chocolate-colored coon come prancing down the shoreline toward me. Unlike the rabbit, the coon took one look at me and swapped directions like turning a sock inside out, suddenly heading the other direction.
Anti-smoking coon, I guess. Bastard.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.