PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdavid

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Well, I started piping about 7 years ago. Kinda fumbled around with it and didn’t really get into the “groove”. Burnt tongue, overheated pipes, smoking too fast making everything I tried taste like burnt ashes. Anyway, ended up moving to a different state and pipes went into storage.
Fast forward to about 6 months ago and I decided it was time to knock the dust off my pipes and get them all cleaned up. I have about a dozen pipes, mostly Stanwells and Petersons. Now that I’m all settled in, I was able to devote more time and research to the cleaning process, rotating pipes, tobaccos, tobacco storage and most importantly, smoking techniques.
Well, thanks to this forum, I’ve been able to refine my smoking techniques and most important lesson learned was to SLOW the heck down. Once I learned the proper way to “sip” most tobaccos it’s like I was reborn! For the first time I was amazed at how different the taste and experience is when taking it nice and slow. I still need to work on cadence as I have a tendancy to be a constant puffer so even sipping gets the bowl a little warmer than I like. Practice, practice.
One thing I don’t do is make a big deal out of packing techniques. 99% of the time it’s a simple gravity, 2 stage pack and I’ll adjust with a tamper as I go. Seems to be working well as I’m experiencing that “perfect” bowl much more these days. Small puffs while tamping, priceless.
Anyway, I’m sure I’ll be learning much more and looking forward to it. This forum is an absolute gold mine. Thanks everyone and looking forward to being here for a long time. Headed to the back porch to finish a bowl of Pirate Kake. I absolutely love me some Latakia.

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Wonderful summary of your journey. I think most people struggle at first and then learn to slow down and then that wow moment happens like you describe. That omg I can finally taste the tobacco and enjoy the pipe without tongue burn. Keep on puffing.

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
Thanks for the reply Cortez.
Yes for sure have been exploring several different blends. Naturally I started with aromatics but am really enjoying the english blends. Current favorites are Shepards Pie, a Frog Morton copy offered by The Country Squire. GL Pease Quiet Nights. The popular Dunhills: Nightcap, early Morning Pipe. I actually find mixing the two 50/50 to be ecxellent. Unfortunately Dunhill going away but there’s obviously much more out there. Been trying some flake, cake and coin tobaccos recently. University Flake, Escudo, Junkyard Dawg to name a few.
Since I learned how to slow down and actually taste the tobacco, I really enjoying this period of discovery and experimentation.
I’ve recently started blending different tobaccos with tremendous success. Nightcap/Early Morning Pipe and 1-Q/BCA my current favorites.

techie

Jul 20, 2018
I just started the pipe about 2 months ago and the forums have been a significant help. Seems I'm on a similar journey of discovery.
Enjoy!

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
I try and try to slow down.. but I just cant get it through my head....
Pufff YUM
Pufff Puffff Puffff YUMMMMMMMM
PUFFF PUFFF PUFFF PUFFF PUFFFFF :P

rdavid

Jun 30, 2018
Milton, FL
I hear you dethmutt
I also like big puffy clouds of smoke. So far the only tobacco I can puff on like crazy is Lane BCA. Black Cavendish aromatic that absolutely refuses to bite. Lot’s of fun and one of the only tobaccos I’ve found that tastes a lot like it smells in the tin.
Mostly like to slow down with a good English blend and try to pick out the complexities and individual components. Much fun and very relaxing.

dethmutt

Can't Leave
Sep 14, 2018
the English I like so far,, Nightcap. ( I have 2 tins and a pound in jars) Bengal slices is decent. Quiet nights is awesome. lane Medal of valor is excellent. I haven't tried Lane Crown yet.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
I was jus thinking about this the other day. When I first started pipe smoking, there was no internet, no mobile phones. There might have been a magazine or two but I had certainly never seen it. I had absolutely no information or support from anyone. I got it into my head that the best way to smoke a ribbon cut was to squeeze a tight ball of tobacco which I then "popped" into my pipe.

It worked....mostly! 8O

Then I saw an advert for..probably Mellow Virginia, with a man filling his pipe from the packet, so I tried that. It got better.

The first time I opened a packet of Condor Flake I just sort of looked at it in bemusement. Then I remember the phrase "ready rubbed" and the penny dropped. But I had many instances of swallowing tobacco juice and/or ash at the end of a pipe. My experience then was light years away from what it is now. That said, I do still miss my Manx Meerschaum from that time.
I only smoke a bowl about 3 times a week, but I've been doing it for about 12 years now, after a 15 year break. I still tastes great. I never want it to become ordinary.

thehappypiper

Can't Leave
Feb 27, 2014
To dethmutt, a suggested exercise.

Get a good burn going and then stop.

Wait for 45 seconds, then

1. lightly draw for about 5 seconds.

2.Hold the smoke in your mouth for 3 seconds then exhale.

Repeat until your smoke diminishes to much to do this then

3. lightly lightly lightly and with high cadence minipuff minipuff minipuff

Repeat steps 1 and 2.

Even if you repeat this only 10 times or so, it might be enough to taste the difference.

I tend to smoke this way, with short, intermittent fits of strong puffing to "get a burn going again", then I let the heat die down a bit.

I am certain this is not the ideal way but it does work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.