PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
No, I have not spat out my dummy (pacifier) or thrown my toys out of the perambulator in a fit of pique at some real or imagined insult. I have not been banned nor have I resigned, but I will not be posting in the Forums (or any other site) for the foreseeable future. The only reason for this message is that in the light of recent events I did not want my absence to be seen as any sort of disenchantment with PM Forums, its Mods or the membership. In fact the last three months have been great fun; I have imparted some knowledge but gained more. I now look after my pipes like the treasures they are, and I pay great attention to the tobaccos I smoke – I am a better piper for it! The reasons for my decision are straightforward:
1. I am embarking on a major medical writing project which will require intense concentration. The pipe itself helps with this, but to be honest the Forums do not. I usually have several live tabs going when I am doing my ‘usual’ academic work, one of which is always PM Forums. I find myself flipping back and forth; this is an obsessive distraction which does not usually signify, but it will from now on.
2. I promised Pauline (“Her Indoors”) that I would desist / take a break after three months – my ‘tour’ finishes at midnight today, UK time.
I should finish by putting matters to right with regards Pauline. Like me, other members have given a tongue-in-cheek (“Her Indoors”, “She who must be obeyed”…….) impression of their spouses / partners whereas others have conjured maudlin, negative visions. She is a nurse, and nurses are indeed bossy; she is obsessively tidy and house proud; she can’t park the car straight but she notices if a piece of furniture is a fraction out of place! Like the original “Odd Couple” we are opposites, but it works.
She is anti-smoking, but I was a pipe smoker when we met and she tolerates my hobby. When we first moved into this house I smoked on the patio, but in a very cold winter I was permitted to smoke in the utility room / dog house. In January this year, after my abdominal operation, she instructed me to smoke in the kitchen, and here I remain. Further she bought me that beautiful 1914 Barling’s pipe for my 60th birthday and, with a triumphant gleam in her eye, she recently bought me my ‘last pipe’ as a Christmas gift. Need I say more?
I hope to be back at some time in the future, and I will report when the results of the Morta carbon dating and NM spectroscopy of Stonehaven vs Germain’s Rich Dark Flake are in. In the meantime, ‘Au revoir’, as they say in ‘Gay Paree’, Bryanf!!

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I will try, coalsmoke, especially to report on the experiments - late at night, when I am writing-pooped and SHE is abed!! LOL

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yours sounds like a challenging project. Give it all you've got. Success and safe passage.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Best of luck on the writing project. It's been enjoyable trading comments back and forth, you are a person well worth reading. I can fully understand your need to isolate your work from the distractions of the outside world. I have to do the same when I'm engrossed in a project, but I rarely take the time to explain myself, I just disappear. Then again,people will notice when YOU leave!
So long, and thanks for all the fish.

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@Piper, likewise. But it will give me chance to appreciate my pipes and better understand my favourite tobaccos without worrying about what I will post about them!
@Mso489, from what I remember of your own erudite posts you are a man versed in "Res medica et scientifica". In 1987 we published a paper in a leading American Journal, the editors of which decided it was the 'The publication of the 1980s'. I have just been asked by them to write a retrospective. This will entail reading 25 years worth of literature on the subject! And heaven forfend I miss anything /anyone out!! I have three months to submit the review !! LOL
@Papipeguy, you are, and always were, 'one of the best'.
@Woodsroad, you are wrong. Your posts have brought new life to the Forums. I view you as 'apprentice' to the 'sorcerer', misterlowercase - high praise indeed !! LOL

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
The bottom line here is that the pipe gives you moments of contemplation which you will desperately need while writing. Most men that I know, myself included, make concessions to soul mates and that is what makes a relationship work. I wish you many hours of pleasurable puffing and successful writing. :)

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
Thank you Six. I well remember the time when a deeply unpleasant member called me a 'Noob'. I didn't know what one was, but you did and you 'went for the throat'. Thankfully he is now departed and you, Sir, are still here, for the good of the Forums and all concerned.

flmason

Lifer
Oct 8, 2012
I hope all goes well with your project. I also hope that you and your wife and family have a Happy Thanksgiving and a Merry Christmas.
Please drop in and say hello if and when you have an opportunity.

rebornbriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 21, 2013
United Kingdom
Chris, I have no doubt your departure will leave another hole in the forum to be filled. The threads you started were always interesting and entertaining. I can fully appreciate your thinking as I too must re-assess my participation as I have no doubt it affects my productivity, especially when it comes to the computer based part of my work. It is so easy to get distracted and before you know it a few hours have passed by unnoticed.
Give our regards to Pauline - she must have the patience of a Saint :), as does Michelle. Hopefully we will meet again in the not too distant future. Adios mi amigo. á luego!

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
Already waiting for your return. I wish I had your dedication and patience. Take care, and good luck.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
In the immortal words of our friend woodsroad:

"So long, and thanks for all the fish."
Bryan, while you and I haven't exactly become close, I nonetheless FEEL as though we have ... much like 'knowing' someone who one sees on TV regularly, it's a case of my seeing a lot of your work inasmuch as there've been many occasions where you and I are among the very few online in this forum at what is a late night hour for me and an early morning hour for you ... as a consequence, I've been witness to a great deal of your musings and observations which have an unusual appeal to me and my sensibilities (presuming, of course, that I can be considered sensible) ...
Others have said, no doubt quite sincerely, that they will miss you greatly ... for me, that's an incontrovertible fact ... your departure will be my loss and while I join the others in wishing you well in your project, I look forward to the time that circumstances will permit you to return and fill the void that your absence will leave.
Best personal regards,

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Flaky, it ended before it began. Thanks for the camaraderie, good times and knowledge you shared during your time here. I'll think of you every time I slice a flake off of those plugs.
"If I were the marrying kind, which thank the lord I'm not sir, the kind of rugger I would wed would be a rugby..."
-- Pat

7ach

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2013
I have enjoyed your posts and look forward to your results of the Morta carbon dating. Best of luck with your work!

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Good luck with the book. Sounds like you have a great wife. We joke about them, but they are truly the ones we love.
Winton

Status
Not open for further replies.