PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Someone here mentioned, some time ago and in a thread now lost to my mind, that perhaps our contemporary tendency toward medicating neurosis has occurred because unlike people a generation or two ago, we do not self-medicate with whiskey and tobacco.
I found this very appealing, because as I looked through annals of the past, it seemed that people did everything wrong. They ate high-fat foods with too much salt, drank like fish, smoked like chimneys and guzzled rich coffee when they weren't drinking alcohol. A normal recipe might begin with a huge wad of butter, lard or bacon fat, and it seemed common to have a stiff drink after dinner and then go for a drive.
If we read contemporary science literally, we have to ask: how did anyone survive? And yet not only survive, but thrive, they did.
It seems to me that two of these illicit behaviors, smoking and drinking tons of coffee, could explain not only part of their thriving, but the success of Western civilization in general. Coffee, like certain anti-hyperactivity medications, speeds up the mental process, which has the subjective effect of slowing the world down. Nicotine relaxes and focuses the mind. Together, these two allowed people to do well in a more complex and fast-paced society.
Without them, and with the tendency of that society to continue its frenetic activity long after technology has obsoleted much of it, people now seem more neurotic as a baseline mental state. They are not relaxed from coffee and smokes, but driven a bit unhinged and as a result, increasingly dependent on meds to make it through. The more we criminalize smoking and neuter coffee with the odious decaffeinated and low-caffeine versions, the more neurotic people get.
Welp, it's food for thought anyway. Load a bowl, pour a thick cup of death vertigo inducing coffee and ponder it, I suppose :)

May 31, 2012
DM,

an excellent hypothesis and a subject worthy of further deep research methinks.

:puffy:
Thanks for the thoughtfood.
Way back in the day when I was a cool bohemian instead of the frazzled haggard recluse I am today,

I had an active social life and interacted with many different people or just generally hung out on "the scene" --- I used to drink alotta Café Bustelo and made it with a French press, and always made it stout.
I would often make it communally and after that they'd say "hey mister, make some of that crack coffee for us!" because they compared it suchwise haha - it did have a certain effect similar to that freebase stuff! :P
Of course, not everyone liked it and if drank to excess it could induce some wicked jittering!
It was also very bitter.

I've always been fond of a Cafe Americano because it's sort of like a "poor man's latte" and with the Bustelo I'd always add milk 'n honey.
The Philosopher At Starbucks
Socrates goes up to the counter.

“What would you like?” asks the barista.

“What would you recommend?” asks Socrates.

“I would go with the pumpkin spice latte,” says the barista.

“Why?” asks Socrates.

“It’s seasonal,” she answers.

“But why exactly is a seasonal drink better than a non-seasonal drink?”

“Well,” said the barista, “I guess it helps to connect you to the rhythm of the changing seasons.”

“But do you do other things to connect yourself to that rhythm?” asked Socrates.

“Like wear seasonal clothing? Or read seasonal books? If not, how come it’s only drinks that are seasonal?”

“I’m not sure,” says the barista.

“Think about it,” says Socrates,

and leaves without getting anything.
:)
Full list here: (fun reading)

http://slatestarcodex.com/2015/01/25/a-philosopher-walks-into-a-coffee-shop/

fearsclave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2014
It wasn't just alcohol, caffeine, and nicotine driving the European expansion. You shouldn't rule out refined sugar as well. It's hilarious when you think about it; a whole continent of people armed with gunpowder and good ships and Enlightenment ideals, wired to the gills on smoke and booze, on a huge caffeine and sugar rush. No wonder it sucked to get in their way.

meatballj

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 14, 2014
New Brunswick, Canada
This whole thread is beginning to remind me of a BBC documentary series titled "Addicted to Pleasure" and hosted by Brian Cox. Focusses on those commodities which helped drive the British Empire. If I recall the episodes were dedicated to whisky, tobacco, sugar and opium.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
My untested thought on the rise of tobacco in the U.S. as far as cigarettes is that it may be linked to the expansion of the highway system. People drive more, what keeps you awake on a long boring drive, or pacifies you on short annoying drives. Smoking! The addictive property of nicotine did the rest. It must be that simple right?

Status
Not open for further replies.