PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
I don't know which product she used because only now (the day after) I am smoking it.
The taste is sour and horrid.
Any tips on what I should do to remove the bad taste?

Jan 8, 2013
I would first ask your housekeeper what she used to clean your pipe. It may not be something you want to be smoking. I'm sure she meant well, but I would also tell her to leave the pipes alone.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Unfortunately she only comes here once a week and I don't have her contact.
I thought she only tapped the ashes, had no idea that she used a product to clean the bowl.
And yes, I told her to leave my pipes alone yesterday...

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
Id remove all the cake, if there is any, then wash it out with some hot water. Once dry Id test it out. If there is still a bad taste Id go with any of the recommended treatments. Salt and Alcohol, or coffee ground treatments. IF nothing works and there is no hope for it, Cosmic's boot treatment may be the last resort.
It may not be something you want to be smoking.

This ^

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
My housekeeper dusted one of pipe racks and broke a Irish Free State Peterson. I recieved a text with the picture of the damaged pipe and immediately called their supervisor. The supervisor asked how much the pipe was worth for their insurance purposes. I emailed her a receipt and about two weeks later I recieved a check. They do my housework, they just steer clear of my office.
Oh, salt and alcohol treatment should de-ghost the pipe.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
OK, just tried to remove as much cake as I could and cleaning it with hot water.
If it doesn't work I'll try the alcohol and salt method or another one.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd still want o know what she used for a cleaner. It may be a product with a label of ingredients. You have to consider whatever the ingredients are, they are changed by burning. Probably nothing terrible, but keep mixtures in mind. If you have a pipe rack, you might want a sign in the appropriate language to instruct a substitute or new person not to handle the pipes. Supplement this with verbal instructions until you are sure your helper can read.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
Agreed, I would lay it down until I knew what they used to clean it with. I wouldn't risk it until then. Even after that, it might be toast because you have no idea how those chemicals could react. It's not worth the negative results. I'd just go buy a cob until I could get another pipe.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The housekeeper cleaned my pipe bowl
I find it extremely strange (and perhaps a bit diabolical) that a housekeeper would clean your pipe bowl.
This could be a sign of even darker goings on yet to be discovered. Is a clean house really worth such risk? 8O

unkleyoda

Lifer
Aug 22, 2016
Your mom\\\'s house
I don't let my son or wife touch my pipes, let alone a stranger.
That said, sorry to hear that this happened.
I thought she only tapped the ashes, had no idea that she used a product to clean the bowl.
If she taps ashes out, this tells me you do little to no maintenance on your pipes. That said, are you sure she used a cleaner in the bowl, or did it just sour?
I had a pipe sour once, it tasted horrid, like burnt rubber.

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
If she taps ashes out, this tells me you do little to no maintenance on your pipes. That said, are you sure she used a cleaner in the bowl, or did it just sour?
I had a pipe sour once, it tasted horrid, like burnt rubber.
Actually I use to leave unsmoked tobacco for the next day. She thought she was supposed to dump it and scraped it all out.
I'm supposing she used a cleaner because since yesterday it has went sour.
But maybe it's a coincidence.
What did you do when your pipe sour?

mrmachado

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2018
Brazil
Wwll, define “sour”.

If tshe used the same brush abd the same water to clean your pipe and the bathroom...
:lol:
Yes, I think that's possible... It just tasted like sour chemical stuff, really off-putting. Not a natural kind of flavour at all.

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm in to see what she cleaned the pipe with. Remember that to non-pipe smokers, a briar pipe is a polished piece of wood, and can be cleaned like a table or chair. I wouldn't use it until I knew. Go through the same procedure as you would cleaning an estate pipe, as you don't know what they've been through either.

georgebmcclelland

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2018
Oh, my, what a pity! It is so hard to find good servants these days. Seven lashes and a week in the pillory shall surely remind her not to trifle with the lord of the manor!

Status
Not open for further replies.