The Grand Cornell & Diehl Burley Trilogy.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
So many Times I see the Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz, and Three Friars grouped together as a Trilogy of sorts. I smoke all three and have always felt that Three Friars was the odd ball. Obviously The former two blends do have a lot in common, both have variations of a common theme.
Yesterday was cellar digging day, and I dug out a 4 Year old tin of Chenet's Cake. Opening the tin delivered a blast of Earthy Prune, Antique Raisin and that lovely compost burley. Crumble cake, easy to pack, and off to the races with 35% Perique, Red Virginias, and burley loaded in the chamber.
As I smoked this "Truffle", taking in all the flavors , it suddenly dawned on me. Three Friars cannot possibly be considered a variation of a theme in association with Haunted Bookshop and OJK. No, not any longer, Chenet's Cake must take this honorable spot.
So if you are interested in Burley and Perique with virginias added, new to the pipe world (or never tried) and want the best Representation there of; Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz, and Chenet's Cake are the three steps to a total understanding of how Wonderful Burley can be.
*****This is just total Fan based drivel that happens when the pipe becomes so much more than a tiny fire near the nose and chin. Subjective and fun.

I have never heard of this trilogy. I have always heard that Three Friars was C&D's version of the old Three Nuns. But, as I care nothing about the original Three Nuns, I have nothing more to say about that.

I tried Chenet's Cake in a box pass. Loved it. Truffle is a great description for it. I now keep several tins of this in the cellar.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've yet to try Haunted Bookshop. I went straight to the OJK after due diligence. I have smoked a fair bit of 3Friars, and also Big 'n Burley.

I think of 3 Friars as more of a VA based blend.

I brought in some C&D burleys and some perique to make my own variations on this theme of burley forward blends, but also some VA's to have those to contribute to my experiments. Did I mention the Lat and Izmir?

I mix up small batches of approx. 2oz. and put them into my rotation. They do seem to improve with time to marinate.

Other C&D blends I've smoked are Habana Daydream, Billy Budd, and Super Balkan, oh, and of course, Autumn Evening.

I guess I could include several other blends. GLPease blends and Captain Earle's.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D did the definitive reconsideration of burley and launched it from a codger blend component to a major player in 21st Century blending. Several geniuses in the effort going back to the original ownership and extending through the current staff.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I'd say the Burley Trinity would be Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz and Billy Budd. Three Friars is too different from the others, IMO, to be included in the same family.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
If we're making trilogies, I always thought of Haunted Bookshop, Old Joe Krantz and Morley's Best as a kind of burley trilogy, as all three are codger-style burley blends created by Bob Runowski.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I'm glad I did this thread, New tobaccos to try because of our cult of Burley! Thanks for your thoughts.

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
I'd be inclined to include Big N' Burley as part of any C&D burley trinity. Subtle, soothing & delicious...

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
I always thought that OJK, HB and Pegasus were the 'Big Burley 3'.
I'm actually looking to stock up on a couple of these but just can't decide. So many slight variations.

Status
Not open for further replies.