PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Is it possible to get rid of the aromatic taste from my cobs? I have 2 country gents that have been used a lot with aromatics. I don't have any desire to smoke them anymore and I feel like these pipes have been lonely and cast away.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Actually, I'm smoking some OGS in the sweet cob now and it is quite pleasant. It has a lot of Boswell Sweet Tea ghost.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
True but why throw it when I can spend the money on tobacco. I was just wondering if it the ghost disappears after a few smokes. It probably doesn't. It's pretty cool though. Now if I want something sweet I can just put a flake in there and it will totally change the taste of the tobacco. It is like smoking a different blend.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Ghosts live in the cake, and cob cake can be removed; in fact, it's easier to remove than with briars. I take a knife at a 90 degree angle and scrape. Also I'd do a thorough cleaning with bristle pipe cleaners and Everclear in stem and shank. Then I'd smoke hell out of them. Little by little the ghost should go away. Anything more such as ion treatment costs more than cobs are worth.
But I appreciate you wanting to use what you have and economize. Good luck!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wipe my mostly briar pipes out after every smoke, keeping the carbon layer extra thin, and I have never experienced

ghosting, so the ghosts are in the cakes as 4noggins says. I don't have to ream my pipes; don't own a reamer. Several

seasoned pipe smokers on Forums follow that regime.

Status
Not open for further replies.