PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Back when I started, I smoked a lot of aromatics on a cheap pipe (Peterson Deluxe, Irish Whiskey, Sherlock Holmes, and some nasty Skandinavik vanilla stuff).
I've switched to english blends, and I decided to try my old cheap pipe. It tasted like candy. I rimmed it almost to bare wood, did a salt & alcohol treatment, and it improved a little, but the sweet is still there.
Should I put it to rest?

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Just smoke through it. I'm not afraid of ghosts.
In fact, I enjoy it when I stumble on a phantom topping.

+1 Sallow, I enjoy smoking Latakia on top of an aromatic ghost sometimes, and a Virginia on top of a Latakia. But, I have gotten a few pipes that were obviously enjoyed by Lakeland smokers. I tried retorts, salt and alcohol, reaming, and finally I had to just soak the whole stummel in acetone and then scrub it out till it was devoid of anything but briar. I restrained it, buffed it out and it was like a new pipe. But... the Lakeland still pokes its dirty filthy taste up every now and then. Aromatics are the worst. Some pipes just have to be put out of their misery and crushed beneath a sturdy boot. YMMV
The moral to the story is that what you enjoyed yesterday, may never go away. And... don't smoke lakelands. :puffy:

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
The most persistent ghost I have encountered came from an estate Digby that used to belong to Captain Black. It took about half a dozen bowls to exorcize but it was enjoyable while it lasted.
As for Lakelands, I'm glad they still exist and feel fortunate every time I light one up.
P.S. The Stanwell estate I bought recently from the Danish pipe shop had the most beautiful ghost in it, sort of a sweet perique blend, as far as I could tell. I wish I knew what was smoked in it, I would buy some.

ignaciojn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2016
Good advice.

I'll take the zen attitude and try to befriend the ghosts.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
ignaciojn you are right, skandinavik is some nasty stuff .. I stay away from it, as it is a good way to ruin a briar. What I find is that while your traditional deghosting recipes may not work 100% every time, if you smoke the same english blend after deghosting, after some time it goes away ... or you just get used to it, I haven't made up my mind yet :puffpipe:

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Every pipe I own tastes of Condor and people I have given pipes too remark on the strength of that tobacco's ability to ghost a pipe.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If it really revolts you, you have to discard or trade off the pipe. But you could use it as a change-up for a non-aromatic blend with your aromatic bowl. Likely it will fade with use, but in the meantime, it could be a flavor option. Boy, am I being optimistic. I smoke only tobacco forward aros, and not too many, along with my favored non-aromatics. I haven't noticed any ghosting.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I wonder what would happen if you sprayed a little Fabreeze on a pipe cleaner and rag and ran them through the stem and bowl then let the pipe breathe for a few days.

madox07

Lifer
Dec 12, 2016
toobfreak I hope you are not serious ... Fabreeze is nothing but chemicals. So I suppose that in addition to ghosting your pipe even further, you may have an extra tongue growing or the old one may fall out, either way not willing to find out :P

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Exorcising ghosts:

1. Ozone Treatment: Walker Pipes: Ozone Treatment
2. Activated Charcoal: fill the bowl with activated charcoal (carried by aquarium suppliers), bake in a low-oven (200-250F) for 4-8 hours - may need to be repeated 2-3 times

I have used this as an alternative to Ozonation for mildew smell in estate pipes.
3. Baking Soda + Hydrogen Peroxide: same technique as salt-alcohol treatment - may need to be repeated 2-3 times.

I have used this as an alternative to Ozonation for mildew smell in estate pipes.
4. Coffee Grounds: pack the bowl with used, moist coffee grounds, & remove after 1-2 days (or when dry) - may need to repeat 2-3 times.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
I hope you are not serious
I don't know, just a thought. Most of those techniques above are to pull the ghost flavor out of the pipe into another medium and remove it---- I've had those ion generators that clean the air but you can't get that into a pipe. But I think Febreeze clings to odor molecules and pulls them out of the air, who can say that it wouldn't pull a taste and odor out of a pipe into the pipe cleaner? It might be worth a try on a throwaway pipe that you can't un-ghost any other way and see what it does. If it fails, so what? You never know.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"Back when I started, I smoked a lot of aromatics on a cheap pipe (Peterson Deluxe, Irish Whiskey, Sherlock Holmes, and some nasty Skandinavik vanilla stuff)."
"I've switched to english blends, and I decided to try my old cheap pipe. It tasted like candy."

That is known as Devine retribution for smoking such muck in the first place :wink:
Seriously though, after a few smokes of proper unflavoured tobacco your pipe should soon catch up and settle down.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.