The General Corn Cob or Go Full Macarthur?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthoz

Lurker
Oct 5, 2018
I've been experimenting with my own diy chalk filters. Apparently they are available commercially as pipe filters as explained here. So far I find first smoked chalk filters are too dry and make me very thirsty but a darkened used chalk filter are good. It smokes cool, absolutely no tongue bite....except now there's finger bite...where my bowl gets too hot and I have to put it down. Safer for my pipe health to hold it instead of clenching.
Now to my main point, I was thinking of turning a corncob pipe into a form of reverse calabash & merschum-ish pipe. I'm going to fill 3/4 of the pipe with chalk pieces. Cut them vertically and to somehow carve them out to form a chamber beneath...still on the drawing board. So the question is, does a general corn cob is deep enough or a macarthur have a deeper chamber? Anyone have any experience using them?
Thanks in advance.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
Have both the General and the MacArthur. There are MacArthurs with the stem attached near the middle of the bowl, and others with it attached nearer the bottom. Mine is the latter. This one definitely has a deeper bowl than the General does.
I made the mistake of trying to smoke some Black Cavendish that I never could get to dry out much (maybe try microwave drying next) in my MacArthur, and ended up with it getting burned out all the way through the left side -- in a single smoke.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't want to be a naysayer. You might come up with something that smokes well. But my first reaction is that this is like re-designing a cigar with a pocket knife. MM cobs smoke real well without modification, so you may not gain much ground redesigning one, or that's my off-hand reaction.

arthoz

Lurker
Oct 5, 2018
Yeah. I think so too about the quality of MM cobs. So far my corn cobs works so well and with chalk filter I don't worry tongue bite risk...though I think all filters work the same and filter makes me more of a glutton puffer.
Good thing I only limit myself with certain date restrictions to make purchases. Gives me a lot of time to reflect.
Maybe I should just get me the MM reverse calabash cob...

Status
Not open for further replies.