PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I really like Fribourg and Treyer's Special Brown Flake, and have some tins cellared. It folds really nice, and has a distinct flavor. It also has the distinction of being the first flake I ever smoked, I guess I liked the packaging. In addition to the Special Brown, they also offer the following flakes.
Cut Blended Plug

Cut Virginia Plug

Vintage Flake
On a lark I recently picked up some Cut Blended Plug but have yet to smoke it. So here is the question.
Which is the best Fribourg flake, and why?

easygoer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 31, 2013
For me it's the Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug. It's just a great all day sweet flake.

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Vintage Flake for me, but I have some Cut Blended Plug to try that I might just crack today.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
My favorite F&T flake is the Cut Virginia Plug, I have been smoking that one since 2001. My next two favorites are the Special Brown and Vintage. F&T makes some great flakes and are all very high quality tobacco.
I would smoke the Cut Blended but it has too much Red Virginia in it for me. I have smoked it and really enjoyed the flavors, but it bites me too much.
Sallow, I think you should try all three on your list, you will probably like them all.

Dec 24, 2012
If you can tolerate the reds, and though not a flake, the blackjack is pretty stellar stuff. Hate to publicize that, but there you go.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Did you know that Black Jack was originally called Negro Head? When I bought a tin back around 01 or so, there was a sticker saying Black Jack that you could peel off and see the original name.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
the blackjack is pretty stellar stuff.

I think you can still buy tins with the original name in other countries? I have never tried it. I do heartily enjoy their Golden Mixture from time to time. It is a nice mild ribbon.

Dec 24, 2012
I actually did know that Harris and someone told me that it is still called Negrohead across the pond. Sounds like Sallow heard the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.