PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Yeah, I suppose you're getting tired of seeing these sad pipes, but this will probably be the last one, as the fourth one is beyond restoration.
Anyway here we go, this one was quite bad, borderline un-savable. It's a Shell from 1948 I believe, and like the others had the usual black tape on the stem/shank joint, slightly chewed up bit, and lots of oxidation. The bowl was a mess to put it mildly. Lots of cake, and two vertical cracks that were connected about 3/4" down with a horizontal crack. I figured that the cake was holding it all together, and I was almost right. It seems at one time someone glued the horizontal crack, as there was some gunk and residue in it. So with the whole piece out of the bowl, I cleaned everything really well, and proceeded to glue it all back together. Lots of glue, briar dust, and time later it looked like it might make it after all. I managed to hide the repairs as the sandblast makes this much easier. Got a good bowl coating going with some rum and ash and it hardened up quite nice. The dot on this one is really dark compared to the others. Maybe the stem or the dot was replaced at some point? Smoked a little GH Rum Flake in it to start the cake going. So far so good. :wink:
Before:

img_0361-600x294.jpg

img_0362-600x286.jpg

img_0378-600x289.jpg

img_0364-600x332.jpg

After:

img_0435-600x293.jpg

img_0437-600x291.jpg

img_0439-600x313.jpg

orobusto

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 22, 2015
New York
If this one in that condition was restorable, we need to see a picture of the one that isn't. You've done great with these first three!

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Another nice job. Yes, I've been watching and waiting. As for the forth pipe, I'd like to see what you could do just for the sake of the try.

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
Count me as one NOT tired of seeing these! As with the other two, another amazing job! Until my life slows down, I have to live vicariously through the intrepid restorers on this forum, so please, keep them coming!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I never tired of seeing artists' handiwork! Well done.
What is (was) that band around the stummel-stem juncture? A repair by former owner?

Status
Not open for further replies.