PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I am not one who believes in Dunhill seconds. None of the non-Dunhill-brand pipes that are associated with the Dunhill factory resemble those shapes, those materials, or those design or fit-and-finish traits. But clearly, the Dunhill pipe factory address turns out several brands of pipes besides Dunhills. The ones I've heard associated with the factory site are: Parker, Hardcastle, Britannia, and Ben Wade. I own a Parker and Britannia. I owned a Ben Wade which I eventually traded off, not for any overt problem, but because I never got to like it's smoking characteristics; it was a straight blast panel billiard, looked great, but wasn't for me. Are there any other brands made at the Dunhill factory? Are any of those I mentioned not manufactured there? Are these secondary brands part of Dunhill's business or done under some contract arrangement to others' specs? Just interested, out of curiosity, since Dunhill maintains such a mystique. Solid info is best, but opinions are welcome -- just be upfront about which, and what sources. Which English brands are absolutely NOT part of Dunhill or made by them?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
WMTP lists a few names:
Arch, Aquarium, Argyle, Ashley, Asorbal, Attache, Big Ben, Box Punch, Broadboy, Bumper, Candle, Caprice, Click Peg, Clipper, Cocktail, Country, CPAS, De-Nicota, Deerstalker, Deniclean, Dodo, Domes, Dri-Pipe, Driway, Economic, Elite, Envelope, Every-Time, Flap, Fountain, Freer, Gadget, Gap, Giant, Golden Crown, Glengarry, Golf Cap, Golf-Ball, Handy, Hookah, Jockey Cap, Jet Plane, Kaolid, Kerchief, Locktite, Londonshire, Long-Short, Longlasting, Flor De Lorenz, Lych Gate, My Lady's Pipe,Nentage, Newsprint, Olaf, Orientator, Ovolock, Pack, Prong, Punto Blanco, Pypure, R.R., Reader, Reading, Sportsman's, Spot, Standard, Stowaway, Strap, The Duchess, Top Hole, Tout-Va, Trumpet, Tuck-In, Tweed, Tween Acts, Ventage, etc.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sable', that long long list of pipes from the Dunhill factory sounds like pipes done under contract for various outside outfits, as house pipes or special occasion or award pipes, etc., and probably over history, not as ongoing brands in the sense that Hardcastle or Parker are. Is that your sense of it? Parker actually names itself as Parker by or from Dunhill, and Hardcastle is an established secondary brand. Britannia is a little more ambiguous in terms of connection, as is Ben Wade, but I think both are established to be made at the Dunhill factory. On the long list is Big Ben, which is a brand from The Netherlands, but maybe they do, or have, contracted from Dunhill. 'Tis interesting.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
From what I understand from the Last time I spoke with Howard the former Dunhill historian a few years ago in Chicago the latest Dunhill shop is a small operation with a few carvers and an apprentice. I doubt very much they are doing anything but keeping the Dunhill PPD's around the world stocked. 8O

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess the whole pipe industry has scaled down considerably in the past thirty or forty years, but I can't imagine the Dunhill factory is too small scale considering the inventory of actual stamped Dunhills online and in shops. Though the historian, who looks back on the glory days may see it as a "small shop" by comparison. Even Dunhill dealers who show up at pipe shows can lay out fifty or a hundred pipes in a fairly offhanded routine way. Hardcastles, Parkers, and Ben Wades make it to my little independent pipe shop off-campus in Raleigh N.C., so I know there are some briars being churned out in quantity, if not like the 1950's.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Along these lines, after a quick stop at my local independent pipe shop earlier this week for PS Proper English and pipe cleaners, a pipe I saw kept nagging me. Boy, do I not need another. But went back this afternoon while running errands an bought a nifty little Ben Wade straight billiard in light stain with a plug-in stem (not cut to fit). I guess I felt I needed another English pipe, with all my Italian, Irish, Danish, U.S. briars. It says made in London England, so good. And well-priced. I like to support my local shop, though I often buy online.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
sable', that long long list of pipes from the Dunhill factory sounds like pipes done under contract for various outside outfits, as house pipes or special occasion or award pipes, etc., and probably over history, not as ongoing brands in the sense that Hardcastle or Parker are. Is that your sense of it?
I think that's probably the case. Most of the major manufacturers down streamed their lesser wood, either by making lines of 2nds, 3rds, 4ths, etc, or by making store brands or special orders.
I guess the whole pipe industry has scaled down considerably in the past thirty or forty years, but I can't imagine the Dunhill factory is too small scale considering the inventory of actual stamped Dunhills online and in shops.
Like other pipe makers, Dunhill always outsourced a portion of its production. Just because it's stamped Dunhill, it doesn't mean that it's made in the Dunhill factory, just like "made in England", or "London Made", or any such nomenclature guarantees that the pipe was made in England or London Made. There's no legal requirement that any of these stamps actually be factual.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sable, I'm still mourning my "made in London England," and "made in England" pipes. I like the fantasy. As T.S. Eliot said, "Man can stand only so much reality." You've enlightened us before, but I guess I went into denial. They must make some pipes in England, but it's a lottery on which ones. I'll pretend I picked three winners.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Then there's my Ferndown, over there on the rack with the crown jewels, sent to me by a Forums member a few years ago. That one's a Brit pipe, period!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
M,

I'm truly sorry to be the cause of pain and disillusionment. But chances are your pipes are British made. There are a few clues with some of the makers. Barling (who decided to discontinue importing French stummels after the carvers' strike of 1906) made all of their own product after 1906 and stamped "Barling's Make" on all of the product that they made in house as well as earlier in house product. BBB stamped "Own Make" or "Best Make" on the pipes that they made in house. And if the pipe is a late 19th century or early 20th century pipe that was carved in France, you probably have a better made pipe than what was being turned out locally at that time. French carvers were the top in the craft. As late as 1928, Comoy's bluntly stated that British carvers were not the equal of French carvers.

Later, it's different, with many of the most experienced carvers working in British factories, and experienced carvers developing in other countries.

I suppose an equally pertinent question would be "Which Brands Make Dunhill Pipes?".

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
sable', I'm just self-dramatizing to pep up my posts, or so I think. No, I'm grateful to be reminded things are not always what they seem. I wonder if the "lesser" brands get much advantage claiming to be made in England/London when they aren't. Maybe with a few old codgers like me, but not with so many I suspect. Pipe history is fascinating, and I'm always glad to get the scoop. This latest Ben Wade is a fine little pipe, perfect clencher and likely ideal for flake too. Those Italians can make a pipe!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I wonder if the "lesser" brands get much advantage claiming to be made in England/London when they aren't.
Yes, and not just lesser brands. That's why Dunhill, Comoy, Sasieni, and other top tier marques united against Barling when Barling attempted to have the trademark rules amended to require that the country of origin and city of origin stampings be truthful and accurate. Barling made all of its own pipes. The others didn't.

owen

Part of the Furniture Now
May 28, 2014
The mysteries, legends and possibilities are one of the most interesting things about collecting pipes for me.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My buddy just send me a beautiful Savory sandblast, Group 6-ish bent billiard. That's my first working on that brand, the sandblast is terrific and the stem has some nice features as well. I'll post a thread in the British section shortly

brendhain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2018
My understanding is that their Second is only partially correct. Pipes are manufactured specifically for these other brands, And any stummel or blocks not meeting the Dunhill Standard (too many spots or cracks) are finished during the production of the Seconds. Part of the benefit of having brands as your Seconds is that the factory buys much more briar blocks; lowers the price and allows for them to select more good blocks. According to an interview with Bill Ashton, when the factory buys a bag, only 3-5% of the blocks go into Dunhill production. The remaining blocks dog into production for their Seconds.
People often confuse a Second with a Reject. A reject is a pipe that made it all the way to the end of production and was Rejected during an inspection either before stamping or after stamping. Dunhill claimed to only produce First Quality pipes and not produce any Second Quality pipes under the Dunhill name.

Status
Not open for further replies.