Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Great collection, Foggy. I think you should give one to the first guy who comments on your post! :mrgreen: :nana:
Seriously, how old is the oldest and what's the age of the newest? Do you note any differences in how they smoke due to the age of the pipes?

Aug 14, 2012
They have become rare, probably because I have bought every smooth one that has appeared for some years. The ages are all 21st century. They all smoke very well, except the Cumberland, which has a bad tasting finish. I keep it because it is a beauty. Once you break in one of these it will smoke very well for many many years. The best are the Root Briars, then Amber Root. The Bruyeres and Chestnuts smoke about the same but the Bruyere takes longer to break in. The #4 County, bottom left, is probably my favorite pipe. I cannot explain why.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Super nice! I wouldn't want to part with one either. They should be kept together as I imagine it's the only group of it's kind. Thanks for sharing a picture of them.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Great set Foggy! Does #2 and #4 refer to bowl size? I love that one on the middle shelf, 2nd from the right with the cumberland stem, but then again, I'm a sucker for the blasts.....

Thanks for sharing! :puffy:

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
Great looking group and I really like the Two Cousin Racks. Do you coat your stems with something to prevent oxidation? The newer Dunhill stems are very high quality and don't oxidizes like the older stems but I left one of mine sitting out of the box in a shaded room for a couple of weeks and saw a slight change. I've never noticed a change in taste in Dunhill pipes from finish or even from outsourced to in house(HT Collectors)turned bowls. 8O

fishingandpipes

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 24, 2013
Great collection there - I'm interested to hear why some smoke better than others. I admit I'm not a Dunhill guy, I lean more Italian, but my thought has always been that the wood a company uses is pretty much the same across all grades outside of grain, and then after that it comes down to stem quality and material.
Anyone want to school me on that?
I'd also love to see your whole collection!

halfy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2014
I just missed a Tanshell Crosby yesterday. Maybe once in a life chance to see one ... sad ...

Aug 14, 2012
fishing: With Dunhills, once broken in, the taste depends on the stain used. Shell Briars and Cumberlands taste bad, even when smoked for years. The only good tasting sand blasted is the County. The smooth pipes all smoke well, thought the Bruyere and Amber Root finishes take longer to break in.

Status
Not open for further replies.