PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbarchetta

Lurker
Apr 26, 2017
I cannot find GL Pease's Maltese Falcon online anywhere. Has anyone else noticed that this blend has seemingly disappeared over the last several months? Anyone have any idea why?

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
I've noticed that MF is MIA online, too. I'm presuming that this disappearance is temporary. MF is one that I'm cellared deep on, and my B&M still has it. I added a tin only last week.

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
I cannot find GL Pease's Maltese Falcon online anywhere. Has anyone else noticed that this blend has seemingly disappeared over the last several months? Anyone have any idea why?
Production from C&D for Pease's Maltese Falcon has been limited over the past several weeks, but should be getting back on track soon. Smokingpipes has a (very) little bit on hand in 2oz tins right now. I'm not sure about other retailers. C&D shipped small quantities to a number of retailers earlier this month.
Sykes

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
They should do a C&D - GLP deep discount when they get their stuff back in order from the move. My 8oz inventory needs to be replenished.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ah, Sidney Greenstreet, Peter Lorre and Bogie! The Maltese Falcon is one of my favorites.
OH! The tobacco! Can someone please describe how they like it and why? (I have many Pease blends, but not that one)

seacaptain

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
You won't need much of anybody's help. You're good. Chiefly your eyes, I think, and that throb you get in your voice when you say things like 'Be generous, Mr. Spade.'

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
He was just dumb enough for that. He'd've looked you up & down & licked his lips & gone grinn.....
Sorry. It's one of those Bogie things. The flick's right up there with Casablanca in my book. What were we talking about again, tobacco?? I fergits.... :crazy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hasn't GLP said he was directing his energies at different activities and narrowing down his blending efforts? Or has he consigned his blends to others to produce right along?

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Hasn't GLP said he was directing his energies at different activities and narrowing down his blending efforts? Or has he consigned his blends to others to produce right along?
C&D has manufactured G L Pease tobaccos to his specifications since the inception of the GLP brand almost twenty years ago, so this is nothing new. Greg's involved in the process, but he doesn't make it in the literal sense of physically cutting, mixing, pressing, packaging it. He does make it inasmuch as they are very much his creations and he is very involved in discussions of the processes (as in, if we were to introduce new equipment or had to match leaf, he would be involved in making sure that it didn't change the tobaccos). Greg in very involved in the process, but tobacco gets made without his direct involvement.
I hesitate to speak for Greg, but I think he was referring to the fact that FDA regulations limit his scope for creating new things. Since a lot of the work he did for the brand was bringing one or two new blends to the market each year, he's inevitably working less on GLP stuff and more on other stuff (though Greg, being a bit of a polymath, has always had a variety of work interests).
Sykes

cohibajoe

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
The Thread has been cold for a month (just as cold finding Maltese Falcon)...I was able to snag 8 2oz Tins this week...Need to look around for

this 1.

morgansteele

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2018
I presume that MF's disappearance has to do with the vagaries of supply/demand on a specific, and limited, tobacco product. Traditionally, tobaccos come in and out of availability. I think that unavailability is simply highlighted by the internet. I have no doubt Falcon will be back soon. If not, my HELOC will soon know my fury.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some blends seem more regularly available than others. I've written some off as discontinued, but then they'll pop back up in small quantities. For example, I think C&D still makes Riverboat Gambler, but since it isn't a big seller, it's in small lots. If you enjoy some of these outlier blends, and you smoke a fair quantity, I guess it behooves you to stock up when you find them. I sip away at my cellar so gradually, there is always something else to open and enjoy. Usually I can wait out the market on particular less available blends, if they're still being made. Plenty to enjoy in the meantime, including blends I've never tried, only aged. I guess if I felt the tug of scarcity more, I'd order bigger quantities. I do have a few unopened big tins and tubs for security.

wolflarsen

Jul 29, 2018
I wonder how long before C&D shuts down. Wouldn't that be the beginning of the end of times ....as the first trumpet blows. Or second?
You're killing me.
On another note, this thread inspired me not only to buy a couple tins but also the book written by Dashiell Hammett. I'm really looking forward to it. Who doesn't love a good mystery?

cohibajoe

Mar 2, 2018
Branchburg, NJ
Well...I received a Email that my order (2 weeks ago Black Cat) for 5 2oz Maltese Falcon will be refunded. Makes me wonder what is going on with the Falcon?
My 6 2oz from SP will be here today.

Status
Not open for further replies.