PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
I remember liking Capstan blue, and recently opened a new tin (flake). I found it a little strong, so I read some reviews and learned that the consensus on yellow is that it has a little less strength and a little more citrus - right up my alley.
So I picked up a tin of yellow (ready rubbed). Damn NY taxes! And it bit the hell out of me.
I packed it well, lit it softly, and sipped - as usual. But I couldn't make it past the first few draws.
Will it calm down if I put the tin away for a while (in a jar)?
Also, does anyone have suggestions for someone who loves Erinmore?

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I am a huge fan of the blue flake and for me it is the paramount virginia flake. The gold is a smoother, less robust virginia then the blue but still a very good smoke. I regularly smoke both the gold and the blue but I prefer the gold ready rubbed and the blue in flake. Gold ready rub for when I want to have a good smoke while doing my daily work and blue flake for when I'm planning on sitting back and experiencing a really good smoke and taste all the flake has to show me.

cfreud

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2014
Weird, sjfine. I am conducting The Great Virginia Experiment, which means as a longtime English/Latakia/Balkan smoker, am dipping my toes into the world of Virginia flake. Capstan Gold is my first tin, and I've not had an issue with it. I find it surprisingly cool and very pleasant. (I had some nasty Royal Yacht experiences a long time ago.) I am enjoying it quite a bit.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think most folks won't find Gold bitey, but everyone's mouth chemistry is different.

If I encounter bite, I will usually come back to the blend after a few months to see if I have changed.
If you like Erinmore, you will probably like Peterson University Flake -- though I wouldn't say they are the same.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
@Cortez

If you like Erinmore, you will probably like Peterson University Flake -- though I wouldn't say they are the same.
I like University Flake, but it is a little strong for me sometimes.
@deuce26

I like Kendal flake on occasion. You may want to give it a try if you like Erinmore.
I will look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.