Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

rfernand

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 2, 2015
The Bond

or: Your New Pipe
You're home at last. It's been a rather long day, but energy is high. A new pipe awaits. You know what it looks like (you chose it, after all). You open the box with a somewhat unsteady pulse; Part anxiety, part care. Memories of unboxing gifts as a kid and the time you broke a piece of one because of being too anxious attack you. Not this time. You shrug them off and see the pipe, its sock, and some papers you are quick to ignore.
There it is. A bit smaller than you remember. No, not quite. A bit fatter. The color is off -- Is it the light in here? You don't know. It'll be a great smoker no doubt (whatever the hell that means). The unfinished bowl worries you. Do I smoke it in thirds for the first few bowls? Do I fill it up? Is this better than pre-coated pipes? Does it matter?
You fill the bowl with your favorite tobacco and with your favorite technique. Shouldn't you be using an old wive's recipe of tobacco that sells for a dollar a pound to break it in? Screw it, it's mine, I'll do my thing. And here comes the first light. You stop of course, as the tobacco does not quite taste like always. Wood? air? there's something in here that's not just the smoke. Or maybe, the smoke is what's not quite fully here. You don't care, you go on and you finish your first bowl.
The first cleaning is fun. You dump the ashes and use your hand to gently tap the pipe and loosen the dottle. The pipe cleaner goes in and out. You find relief in the cleaner going all the way through the bowl. Does it matter, really? You don't care. The smoke was good, but something odd stays with you. You shrug it off, put the pipe away, and know you'll see it in a couple of days.
The fifth (or is it the sixth?) bowl catches you somewhat by surprise. The pipe has found a natural position in your hand. You're not a clenched and you don't bite the stem, but you let it hang anyway because why not? it's your pipe. Cleaning it is mechanical now. But the color has changed. The pipe is not as shiny. Is it patina? Is it dirt? Should I really be waxing this thing more often? Does it really matter?. The bowl is now black, mostly. A toni naked spot near the top remains. The bottom, you notice, is still more or less naked. There's no cake anywhere, but most of the bowl is black. Coated or charred, you're not sure. You shrug it off, put the pipe away, and know you'll see it in a couple of days.
Months have passed and your new pipe does not look new anymore. It is packed very easily now, with most motions being mechanical and deserving little afterthought. You're now used to it. And then, all of the sudden, as you puff shortly after the second light, you find yourself smiling. Your favorite blend, which has been a faithful companion every time you've tried this pipe, has dramatically changed in flavor. It sings. You feel pleasure in the sides of your tongue -- no, near the back. You're salivating with gusto as you savor your smoke.
The pipe, you see, is yours. But not like the first day. It's yours. And so it shall stay. Sweet. This piece of briar, masterfully crafted into an instrument that caught your eye at the store, worked its way into you. It looks used now. By you, nonetheless. It feels comfortable in your hand. And it tastes yours. You smile again as you feel -- not think -- the newly formed and pleasant bond. And you don't worry for a second for how long (or if) it will last.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
This is totally spot-on. Collectors aside, this is how 99.99% of smokers view their pipes and it's a healthy functional viewpoint. Nothing is eternal and nothing lasts forever (sadly also applies to my last tin of Royal Yacht).

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Very good read and so true ... thanks for taking the time to post this! :clap:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
A fun read.
I must be the .001%. I always take the new pipe from the clerk, box and sock go in the bag, load it and am smoking it as I go out the door. It's purely a business deal to me, no angst. It's not like getting a new dog or holding a newborn in the hospital. If a pipe were to cause so much mental anguish I wouldn't be smoking.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Thanks for reading!
This was me practicing a few things in writing: misappropriating mechanical styles from tmagical realism movement, short-form, practice describing inner conversations, and other stuff too boring to discuss.. I figured since the topic is related to our hobby sharing it here wouldn't hurt. :)

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I enjoyed it as a Personal Perspective type of essay and also appreciated the inclusion of soliloquy.
Again ... thanks! :)

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I suppose when buying sight unseen and unfondled there may be more concern and a building of anticipation. The OP's explanation that is was an exercise in prose speaks volumes. As I said, an enjoyable read.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Full disclosure, I'm closer to Warren's pragmatism when it comes to my smoking instruments -- I still stop an enjoy beautiful things, such as a pipe I just got at the Seattle Pipe Club Annual Dinner auction (pics to come), but there is a lot more "let's smoke it" muscle in me than a "will it smoke well? do I know what I'm doing? Should I leave it unsmoked and keep it virgin forever?" angst.
What I do share with what I wrote is the "bonding" moment, when a pipe is fully performing for me (or I've grown accustomed to it).

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
It was enjoyable for a couple of reasons. First there was some thought and work in the construction of the piece. Second, because of the first it was much more than some of the streams of consciousness that are posted so often. The obvious effort produced an enjoyable read. I believe that was the objective.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A good account of taking pipe from unsmoked to broken in. I like the emotional shift from one awareness to another. The only missing piece, which comes with time, is the consciousness of how long pipes can last. I have a few that I bought new that are topping 40-plus years with me. When buying a pipe, new or estate, it's worth keeping in mind that this little object might be around longer than you are, even if you live to a truly advanced age.

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
mso489: Man, I tried incorporating that in so many ways (I gave up). I have many objects I've collected that I can draw enough experience from and pretend to write it about a pipe, but it just broke the piece (since it was about the moment it "clicks" with you, and the journey towards it). The best I could do to nod the possible future was the last sentence (which I'm not too proud of, but for this things, I set a timer and force myself to wrap up...)

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
Speaking of new pipes (off topic, I know), this one followed me home today (first post on Chacoms? I was surprised, but couldn't find the relevant "Show off your..." thread).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Enjoyed it also. True in my experience except of the unboxing part. And I run the pipe cleaner before I buy, but that's not quite doable buying online! Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.