PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Took a break from working on some incredibly picky details on my Kansas City billiard to try out a new design..A poker design with carbon fiber shank that will have a reverse calabash effect- comes apart in 3 pieces for cleaning. Fun break in the middle of the week....

2r6o2oo.jpg

Dec 24, 2012
Wooooh, that's a relief. I wasn't sure what exactly this thread was about when I clicked on it.
I think it has a cool look to it. Carbon fibre is a cool accent material.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Great version of a poker, and the texture is both unusual and exquisitely done. I have a modest-priced

LaRocca poker done with camp carving on the briar, but it has grown on me, and improved slowly with

break-in. It's a large bowl and smokes a long time. Pokers can be such nifty pipes.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Holy shit zack, that is a bad ass pipe. Right up my alley for sure. The poker is one of my favorite shapes, black my favorite color, sandblast my fav finish and the carbon fiber shank with reverse calabash system is just out there and f'in awesome. I've been wanting to get a pipe with that system, as it sounds effective and it's definitely something kind of new school. What would you charge for a pipe like this in the future? You can pm me if you don't want to list prices here. Keep up the stellar work, bud.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
zack, on the thread about "Shapes You're On The Fence About," you listed the poker as one you

didn't like, and now look at what you've made! Someone said (Whitman?) consistency is the

hobgoblin of small minds. I think pipe people evolve pretty quickly on the subject. I hope I have

this right -- pardon if I misquote.

goldsm

Can't Leave
Dec 10, 2013
It looks nice like a new version of bamboo poker.

My real question is how will be smoke because carbon fiber.

May use a wood tube filter like brigham pipes? or a long tube like old dunhill?

Let me know what is your idea. Anyway Happy smoking.

rolldog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 4, 2013
Looks cool and I love pokers. Could you share more pics at different angles and maybe one of her broken down?

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
on the thread about "Shapes You're On The Fence About," you listed the poker as one you

didn't like, and now look at what you've made!
I knew someone was going to bust me on this one...:) What I should have said is I hate boring pokers...which many of them are. On this particular combination- using a high tech material like carbon fiber, I needed a shape with hard angular forms....like the poker...The cool thing is that I can shift the shape to a billiard...or take a billiard shape and extend the shank and have a Canadian...or throw in some ivory spacers on the front and rear to dress it up...
What I love about this combination is that it has that big internal space in the shank- we can argue whether that's a reverse calabash or a riff on a Peterson System pipe...but the beauty is that it breaks into 3 pieces- stummel, shank and stem so you can clean it very easily....and the carbon fiber is dimensionally stable in temperatures up to 350 degrees...
It is very much an experiment at this point...but a very interesting one...
...and to give props to genesis for the idea- at the Chicago Show, Joao Reis had a pipe with an impossibly small bamboo shank and he was kind enough to share that he was using carbon fiber for the tenon- got me thinking along those lines....

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
how will be smoke because carbon fiber.
The carbon fiber is a matrix of epoxy and CF baked at a fairly high temp. I sand it internally to eliminate the mold release material, wash it with a solvent, wash it again with a detergent solution and with pure grain alcohol...
The material is dimensionally stable up to 350 degrees- most figures I see on temp of smoke in the draft are around 130 degrees...which makes sense considering that ebonite is bent at around 200 degrees,,,
The moisture should drop out in the stem- just like any RC pipe....and deliver nice dry smoke to the stem
I'll fire one up in the next week and let ya know...

sidious

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 30, 2014
I love the look of this pipe. I especially like the shank. It reminds me of the German braided fuel line in my Beetle.

Dec 24, 2012
I had the same initial fear as Peck.
Yeah, clicking on this took some courage. I haven't been this nervous since I watched Lorena Bobbitt judge that Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest last year in Manhattan.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
...and then of course, there had to be a Black Mamba Billiard...just finished this one a few minutes ago...24 grams with a Group 3-4 bowl
v3ln6g.jpg

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Wooooh, that's a relief. I wasn't sure what exactly this thread was about when I clicked on it.
Peck, you do have an evil mind...just keep in mind- although some people in this world are blessed to own pipes with Canadian shanks, others have to make do with nosewarmers....

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
Peck, yeah when i thread at first glance there was apprehension, but then i took a glance inside and the pipe boner returned!
Yeah, clicking on this took some courage. I haven't been this nervous since I watched Lorena Bobbitt judge that Nathan's Hot Dog eating contest last year in Manhattan.
Now i say to YOU peck, TOO MUCH INFORMATION!!!!! :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.