The Biggest repair I've taken on so far(pictures)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
A weeks or so back I went to an estate sale and picked up a handful of pipes for next to nothing. I really should have put this one back but I couldn't do it and decided it must be saved. The pipe is a Savinelli Punto Oro. It was cracked in 3 places on the bowl. Two of the cracks went down a good 3/4 of the bowl. The shank had also been broken off at some point and glued back together. I soaked the pipe in alcohol to strip and and sanded down the cake until I was back down to wood. I then used Loctite weld epoxy and a clamp to glue the cracks together. On the outside I used J&B wood putty epoxy to fill the cracks. I restined with alcohol dye and gave a polish. I think it turned out pretty good but the wood putty doesn't seem to take stains very well.
How hot does a pipe bowl get on average. The weld epoxy is rated to 400 degrees. I'm thinking a fast smoked bowl might get hotter then that and I wonder if I should put on a coat of fireplace adhesive as it will take higher heat.
I should have taken before pictures but I didn't think about it at the time. Here are some finished pictures

though.

ivapewithfire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2014
West Virginia, USA
I don't know anything about it, but I would worry about the heat on the adhesive.
I'm tagging this thread just to see what the experienced pipe refurbishers have to say on the matter.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
fireplace adhesive? Say what? weld epoxy? You Serious Clark? It's ok to smoke after using these things? I will be following as well.

gambit88

Can't Leave
Jan 25, 2015
I've had a few people tell me about the chimney/fireplace stuff. Its withstands up to 12 or 1400 degrees. I see a lot of people on reborn pipes using epoxys and then coating with a pipe mud or something simillar. By no means do I plan to have the tobacco against the epoxy.

Status
Not open for further replies.