PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
Are there any opinions out there about who currently offers the sweetest bulk virginias. They can either be single type or blends, but they must be comprised of all virginia tobaccos. I am looking for the "best" base to use in my blending experiments. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
McCranie's Red Ribbon. The older, the better.
Agreed ... great stuff!
Also, McClelland's #5100 Red Cake ... great blender and available in bulk. :puffy:

zekest

Lifer
Apr 1, 2013
Lane's 1-Q ?
From SmokingPipes.com:
Components: Black Cavendish Virginia Family: Aromatic Cut: Ribbon
Basically a Golden Cavendish blend but with a hint of Fire-Cured blended in provides scintillating taste and flavorful aroma.

mranglophile

Can't Leave
May 11, 2015
United States
Lane's 1Q is an aromatic, it does contain virginias, but I think they mean a verginai that is sweet versus a virginia with sweeteners.
The 2 McClelland products already listed and I find FVF penty sweet.

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
Newminster Superior Navy Flake 400 is nicely sweet as well but the suggestions so far can't be beat.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Is it 'across the board', or just the coins and flakes that I see prices creeping upward?

What drives these increases? Popularity? Demand? Perception?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll second peteguy on McClelland's 5100. I also find Orlik's OGS sweet/not over sweet. I've heard McClelland's Dark Star is really tasty but I'm following instructions and letting my tin get some age. There are probably a number of more sweet Virginias, but since sweet isn't my big criteria, I don't know them.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
When I want to blend I tend to avoid McClellands due to the ketchup smell/taste so many have talked about (I enjoy it, but when I want to blend I like a very neutral tobacco taste, and don't consider McC to be best for that ). When I blend Vas, I like to use A 50-50 mix of FVF and Opening Night. When I want to sweeten it, I use C&D Red Va Cavendish. It's not artificially flavored, just cooked with sugar in a way that brings of a lot of sweetness (adding sugars like that doesn't bother me, as all tobaccos have sugars added in the initial processing stages).

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/some-of-the-sweetest-non-aromatic-tobaccos-recommendation
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/sweetest-straight-va
There's some reading for you, good luck with your blending.

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I have long ago gotten past the McClellend tin note and personally believe that for a US based blender, they do Virginias better than many and possibly most. I do like me some FVF and some British VaPers but it's hard to beat McClellends and they're always available. For any one of us to say what is the best or sweetest Virginias is purely subjective and one sided, experiment and find what YOU like the best. Some darn good recommendations have been listed here.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
I once knew a bulky Virginia, but she was far from sweet.
Seriously, though, the recommendations for McCranie's Red Ribbon and McClelland's 5100 are probably your surest advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.