PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Went in bright and early Thursday for my hernia surgery. Pre-op went great and the doc said I'd be up by 10 am after the surgery. As I slowly came to after the surgery I looked at the clock which was at 2:00 pm.
First thought: Oh Crap do I still have my nuts! I must have been a dog in a previous life.
Guess things were a lot worse than they thought when the surgeon opened me up. All is going well now and I'm back home and am enjoying some Bengal Slices and percocet.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
How do we know this is really you and not a duplicate posting to cover up the doctors awful mistake?
Assuming this truly is you, best wishes and speedy healing!

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Glad you're ok. I had a moment like that after Prostate Cancer Surgery. Woke up to a Wreath saying Condolences, my Company EXXON, had sent 2 Flower requests that day, and they were mixed up, the other said Get Well soon. Would have loved to see that in the Furneal home.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
brad... that was priceless!
Had my share of surgeries and they're never a pleasant experience. The surgery on a collapsed lung had to be the worse. Anyway... a speedy recover to ya druid.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I LOVE the feeling between the time of anesthesia and passing out. Then it feels seconds have past, surgery is over and you're in agony from having been sliced open. Personally, I'm not a fan of surgeries.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
Since nicotine constricts blood vessels & could impair or delay healing, increase post-op infection, & increase the risk of incisional hernia, & that hernia repairs are notorious for failing, I suggest no smoking or nicotine for awhile. How long? I don't know, but under optimal conditions tissue strength may only be 80% at 1 year post-op.

Personally, I would abstain from smoking for at least 1 month before until 3 months after surgery; for Orthopedic surgery I would consider nicotine abstinence as long as 1 year post-op.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Glad to have you on the road to recovery, prairiedruid. Checking your nuts is not unusual... licking them is a sign that you are a reincarnated dog (which is probably a good thing).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
prairie', hope you heal in reasonable comfort and fairly quickly. If you're lucky, you'll get feeling peppy in the next week or two; don't take the bait! Use this as an excuse to take it easy and go slow. That euphoria effect can be a stinker and really slow you down after that first burst of feeling well.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
All is going well now and I'm back home and am enjoying some Bengal Slices and percocet.
Now that's quite a combo!
Get well quick-like! Glad you weren't de-balled, huh?!
Brad- Hilarious. Did you think for a second you had actually died and come back when you saw the wreath?
Cossack- Are you an M.D.? IAE, what's your prescription based upon?

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Checking your nuts is not unusual... licking them is a sign that you are a reincarnated dog (which is probably a good thing).
Which reminds me of an old joke:
Two gay guys were walking down the street when they noticed a dog sitting on the porch licking its balls. One said to the other, ‘Damn, I wish I could do that!' The other replied, 'Well, if you try I think it would be safe to pet him first'

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Prairiedruid: a speedy and comple recovery. We all hope you'll be up and licking your balls before many more days have passed.
Brad: you're incorrigible!
CossackJack: your information may be correct--nay, I'm certain it is--but how many pipe smokers will follow it? Would you, if you were the patient in question?

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Thanks for the healing thoughts. I'm honest with my doc so he knew I smoked a pipe and he just recommended to smoke only 1-2 times a day for the first couple of weeks. So this is an interesting challenge for me since I was smoking on average 4-8 times a day. I definitely smoke slow and savor the pipe of the day!

Status
Not open for further replies.