PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Like many of you, I've really been enjoying watching Samcoffeeman evolve as a rescuer of estate pipes. This is partially self serving, as a guy who also cleans up pipes, because he so happy to share what he learns with others.
When I was cutting my teeth on cleaning up pipes Sam sent me a retort, gratis, out of the blue. Now he didn't just give me something potentially dangerous and cut me loose, he sent up four pages of instructions as well as links to youtube videos and online resources for how to use a retort safely and effectively.
This morning when I opened my mailbox to find yesterday's mail, there was a parcel from same waiting for me. I was thrilled to find a lovely pipe that Sam had refurbished, a pot of sterno to make retorting easier (and less messy), some 'baccy samples, and a new pair of gloves to wear while using the retort (safety first!).
This all to say that learning a new hobby is fun, but it becomes truly rich when a community like ours, with people like Sam, come together to enliven it.
Thanks Sam.
Here are some pics of the pipe. He posted a pic of it when it came in but, as you can see, he did a marvelous job cleaning it up. I LOVE its craggy blast. It reminds me of some of the early Dunhill Shells' blasts. It is an L.J. Peretti blasted Canadian with a silver (decorative as far as I can tell) band and it is unbelievably light for its size.

PS - If you're looking for a well cleaned and refurb'd estate pipe. Sam's your man.
-- Pat

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Pat:

Is that one for sale? It looks like a really nice one...
Shutter, you're a brother, but this pipe isn't going anywhere. I LOVE this pipe. It is going to be smoked, and nurtured, and live long and prosper (in a non Vulcan way) on my racks.
Now, I do have a boatload of other pipes... but that's a post for another thread on the forums.
:puffy:
-- Pat

Dec 24, 2012
Congrats on the Peretti. They have some nice pipes. I was looking at them when I was there a week or so ago. I wonder - I assume they have someone make them for them? Anyone know?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
pat, that is a fantastic looking Peretti, congrats on your new pipe. I have a Peretti Straight Grain that is a really good smoker.
Sam, way to go, very classy move.
Peck, I think I heard that Edwards was making pipes for Peretti's at one time, not sure who makes them now.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks Harris. Would you believe that the pipe weighs in at 44g and it's 7" long. Not even a "7 inches long, winkwink, nudgenudge" but a REAL 7"... I measured the darn thing. I still can't get over how light this thing is.
-- Pat

pipingruotsi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 6, 2013
Pat, that pipe is gorgeous. If the stem is vulcanite, why not live long and prosper?? :wink:
Sam, nicely done and kudos!

docwatson

Lifer
Jul 2, 2009
New England
That pipe is a very nice older Peretti pipe. I have many like that from the Old Owl Shop of New Haven, Connecticut and Worcester, Massachusetts. I was told that these pipes were made by Dunhill, Sasieni, Comoy and other very respectable firms. The Owl Shop pipes that I have are all stamped Owl Shell and are truly Dunhill blasts as is this pipe that Sam sent to you. They are incredible smokes, and only sandblasts like that came from Dunhill!!!.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks Doc. I truly appreciate the back-story here!
Y'all should run, not walk, over to Sam's for sale page, because I am pretty sure he has this pipe's twin listed for sale over there.
-- Pat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
That pipe is a very nice older Peretti pipe. I have many like that from the Old Owl Shop of New Haven, Connecticut and Worcester, Massachusetts. I was told that these pipes were made by Dunhill, Sasieni, Comoy and other very respectable firms. The Owl Shop pipes that I have are all stamped Owl Shell and are truly Dunhill blasts as is this pipe that Sam sent to you. They are incredible smokes, and only sandblasts like that came from Dunhill!!!.
That is pretty cool info Doc and an even cooler pipe! I eyeballed that one in the BST and thought it had a special look to it, now I know why.

castellarius

Might Stick Around
Oct 20, 2013
This looks like a wonderful canadian, congratulations ! A very nice gift !!
May I ask if L.J. Peretti is a pipemaker from USA, or a shop whit it's line of pipes ?

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
May I ask if L.J. Peretti is a pipemaker from USA, or a shop whit it's line of pipes ?
L.J. Peretti is one of (if not the) the oldest bricks & mortar tobacconists in the US. They still blend their own tobacco in house, and have a series of branded shop pipes available for sale. As noted above, their pipes have been made by numerous factories over the long history of the shop. For more information on L.J. Peretti you can head here: http://www.ljperetti.com/
Cheers,
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.