PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
To all of you who have been discussing what I call "drug store" tobaccos; a big thank you!
The discussions got me to thinking about how much my taste has changed over the years and what do some of the tobaccos I was smoking back in the '60s taste like today. The selection up here in the great north is limited, but I found some "Prince Albert" and "Half and Half."
What a revelation! The Prince Albert is still a clean and tasty smoke. Nothing special, just a grand, smooth tobacco right out of the pouch. No surprises! I'm not a fan of surprises.
The "Half and Half?" This took me right back to the Uni. Gentle and a bit bland, same remembered taste. It's nice that some things from the old days are still reliably true to their roots.
I suspect the Middelton's "Cherry Blend" (couldn't find any in town) is still something to be smoked primarily to attract the coeds. I doubt that I'd try that one again. I couldn't get through a full bowl the first time. There was also some thing named Middleton's "?????? No. 1." That was another one that I avoided after the first bowl. Easily passed on to others new to the pipe. Some like both. No accounting for taste, it's got to be the differences in palates.
Again, thanks to those of you who stimulated my interest. It was a rewarding trip into the past. There will be a pouch of the old Prince in the center console for emergencies or, just a change of pace.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I think there is a big difference between the burley forward OTC stuff and the goopy aromatic OTC. I love the former and won't touch the latter.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Just ordered Sugar Barrel along with some more Trout Stream from Rich. Old Codger, YES I AM, and proud to say so.
I also have Captain Black blends, and Carter Hall. I hadn't ever smoked OTCs until reading about them on this forum. Just another horizon that I've expanded to.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I believe I'm turning into an old codger, and I'm Ok with that! My kids sure sseem to think so anyways! Carter Hallis my absolu tefav ourite tobacco right now, and I've sampled a fair number of good quality blends (and info enjoy them). Next order will be another tub of CH and the some samples of Granger, Sugar Barrel and Edward G Robinson. At 39 I'm Ok with being called an old codger, I've always marched to the beat if my own drummer anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.