PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
Nirvana. The best smoking pipe I own is also the one I have held onto the longest, a Castello 75 Sea Rock bought in the mid 80's that started life as a GG but is now, thanks to an unfortunate accident and the remarkable skill of Jim Cooke, a G. I figured that what I have to smoke tonight deserves the best. Ashdigger recently unearthed,from England, a cutter top can of Rattray's Black Mallory. Cutter tops disappeared in the early 1960's, AFAIK. It is conceivably​ older than that by a few decades. The tin itself appeared from the pictures he posted here to be completely pristine, and the sample he sent is in perfect shape, no need to rehydrate in any way (typical of cutter tops that have maintained their integrity). I am 20 minutes into this bowl, and it is everything I expected. I have not smoked tobacco from a cutter top in more than 15 years, and never expected to have this experience again. The sugar crystals on the leaf give the first hint that there will be a discernible underlying sweetness that is not in any way cloying. The Latakia is definitely there in what to me is more than the background, but not dominant. More than a condimental amount, though, and a rebuke to those who say Latakia does not age well. This is every bit the equal of a cutter top can of John Cotton's Number 2 that I unearthed that bore a tax stamp firmly dating it to 1951. Until tonight, that was the finest Scottish Mixture I had ever smoked. If the Good Lord comes for me tonight, I am ready. In about 45 minutes.
Ashdigger could not have shared this find with anyone who appreciates it more than I do. Thanks.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

I have to say thank you to ashdigger as well. The sample of Black Mallory is a real treat. My experience so far is that it has a deep sweetness and slightly sour (vinegary) flavor right out of the gate, some spice comes through about halfway in, and then those flavors fade a little towards the end and I begin to taste the latakia a little more. It's really good stuff! I've never smoked anything quite like it, and am grateful to ashdigger for sharing it. :puffy:

Oct 7, 2016
Al, in the early 90's I was running late for a flight and Delta made me check my carry on, which included my pipe bag. When I got home there was a hairline fracture about the length of the mortise. I showed it to Barry Levin at a show, and he suggested I send it to Jim. He cut off the shank just behind the mortise and made a new mortise. As far as I can tell, he did not in any way touch the stem or the tennon. The fit is perfect. A smidgen of the nomenclature (the Carlo Scotti in an oval) is partially missing. It is still stamped GG, but it is just about equal in length to my G75's. If you know 75's, you would spot that the tapering of the shank looks a little queer, which makes what he did to the pipe even more unbelievable. The pipe was one of my favorite smokers then, and has remained so. Pictures would not really give you any more insight into the repair.
He also repaired a sudden burnout on a GG 75 Castello Epoca right at the draft hole, which suddenly expanded to three or four times normal when I suddenly tasted cinders one night. That was maybe a year later. The pipe would have gotten a GGG stamp today. Two highly regarded repairmen who at that time were as highly regarded as GeorgeD is now told me it was hopeless. I sent it to Jim. He fixed it, would never tell me how he did it, but no one who ever looked at that pipe -- and every major Docs collector in the country saw it at shows -- would believe me when I told them the story of the pipe. One of them bought it when I decided to get out around 2001, but for many years it was another faithful smoker.
I do not know what Jim's policies are about repairs. Back then he was notoriously slow, but my work was done in just a few weeks. Being able to use Barry Levin's name helped, no doubt. As did USPS money orders in a generous amount up front.
Speaking of generosity, Ashdigger, totally gratis and unknown to me except from his public posts on this forum (the first PM I ever got from him was an offer to share this fabulous find) provided me with an unforgettable evenings pleasure.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Great stories in this thread. Ash, who knew? Maybe this is a good place to compile them in case he ever needs a character witness.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
(Cross-posting from the original Cutter Top thread)
Thanks, again, Tim, for letting me sample this special tobacco.
I've never smoked current-production Black Mallory, so I didn't have any particular expectations for how this would taste. In any case, this is a wonderful tobacco that I'm enjoying very much. If I had to compare it to another blend, it reminds me a bit of McClelland Jubilee
Maybe the Latakia has faded somewhat over the last six or seven decades, but there's just enough here to make it noticeable. The Orientals make themselves known mainly as a sort of fragrance in the background, but occasionally they stand front-and-center along with the VAs, striking a bright, fruity, aromatic note. There's also a smooth buttery-ness in here that I assume is partly due to the cavendish. If there's a star here, it has to be the VAs. They're tangy and rich, but not as dark and fruity as, for example, well-aged Christmas Cheer or any other well-aged McClelland VA. These VAs maintain more of an earthy, spicy character. They're full of flavor (you don't have to coax it out or concentrate to find it), but at the same time delicate enough to allow the Latakia and Orientals do their thing.
One of the things that surprised me about this blend is how fresh it is after all these many years. Not that it's fresh in the sense of not having aged, but that there's none of that musty "old" taste that you sometimes find in decades-old tobaccos. The condition of the wrapper suggests that this tin was stored in relatively good conditions and the condition of the tobacco itself bears that out.
tl;dr: This is a delicious, fragrant Scottish blend with just enough Latakia to be noticeable, while the well-aged VAs are earthy, spicy and tangy. Overall, this blend is smooth, delicate and at the same time rich in taste.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Tim is a mensch, through and through.
+1
True story. My good friend from Ireland once asked me, "Hey, Pitch, what's a 'mensch'?" I tell him. And then he says "Oh. Someone called me that and I didn't know that was a good ting or a bad ting."

Status
Not open for further replies.