PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

12pups

Lifer
Feb 9, 2014
Minnesota
When I was learning blues from this blues genius, I mentioned something about feeling shy sometimes when asked to play. I didn’t think I would ever have anything worth hearing. He told me something I think speaks to my growth as a pipe hobbyist, too. He explained:
“What makes great music? If you only know three notes, and work with them, really put them together well, become the world’s greatest virtuoso of those three notes, you will be making exquisite music. But eventually you’ll get bored, you know. I get bored with what I can do. So I stretch myself, add something, then I’ll think I can get it just a little better, just perfect that and then I’ll be happy.”
I used to be happy smoking my pipe the way I did since forever, just packing the sucker, setting her off and blowing big clouds meditating away. That was it. I was really smoking, baby.
Then I found this place. And quickly my old way of smoking bored me.
I have learned soooo much from this site.
My mouth now, at 11:08 a.m., still remembers the soft incense in my mouth from the cool pipe stem while I was driving to work at 7:30 this morning. And it was from a tobacco I had written off! It now gives me so much more pleasure than I realized a pipe could give. I might have another at lunch. Don’t know yet. It’s not something I would “cram into a moment” anymore. I don’t want to cheapen the experience.
The site stretched me, gave me a more sophisticated skill set. I care for my pipes better. I fill my bowl better. I actually smoke the pipes better. I choose tobaccos better.
And the experience is so far past my old three-note pipe-smoking repertoire that I feel like I can sit among any of the great pipe smokers of the world and not sound stupid.
A more mature and confident pipe-smoker.
Thanks!

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Wow, 12pups, you really put it on the line, expressing so eloquently what most of us feel about this site. Thanks so much for sharing with us and teaching us a valuable lesson. The day will come when we'll be learning technique from you. Glad you're one of us.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Great reflections. I agree. Besides sharing with the incorrigible enablers on this site, my own experience has been

marked by growth in exposure and enjoyment. I guess Kevin succeeds in his original goals for the e-zine

-- so well expressed in your post.

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Well said, 12pups ...
This is, indeed, a wonderful place where all of us benefit from the collective accumulated wisdom of the entire group ... there is something to be learned here on a daily basis, whether one is new to the practice of pipe smoking or has been piping for decades ...

Jan 8, 2013
Well said 12pups. I have learned a ridiculous amount from this site. All the other people I know who smoke come to me for help now. I refer them all here.

layinpipe

Lifer
Feb 28, 2014
12pups, great post and i concur. Only been a registered member for a few weeks now, but was a long time lurker for information before taking the plunge. I figured maybe my 2 cents could help someone somewhere out and i could pay it forward for all the free knowledge i have acquired from here. The different and diverse amount of opinions each piper contributes creates a plethora of information about a wide variety of pipes and tobaccos. This, in turn, makes for a more educated consumer and creates pipe smokers that stick with the hobby rather than being turned away because of a bad beginners experience resulting from a lack of knowledge and information. In time, these folks become the informers as well as continually learning from both more and less experienced pipers along the way.
The internet is a wonderful thing.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm always gathering a little more here. Some seemingly small potatoes are really insightful and/or useful.

I learned very small pipes are not just toys or souvenirs. I was reminded that you have to cut cube crosswise.

I've tried dozens of blends I wouldn't have considered. I've sampled some experimental blends by one Forums

member. It's a "pub" I enjoy visiting.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I've had the same kind of revelations and epiphanies since I've been here, for the past nine months. Too many people neglect the simple pleasures of life that they need to keep them sane and open minded.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
Bravo !
When I first started buying pipes, it was willy-nilly. Thanks to forum posts I've been able to settle down and learn pros and cons (per preference) and deciding what I want -vs- "I must try this!". Instead of hyper-ventilating, I'm learning self discipline.
My tastes in tobacco have expanded, and I'm not timid in trying something new. Yes, I'd say the forum serves it's purpose - the love of pipes and tobacco.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I started reading this forum before I bought my first pipe. It is hard to remember how little I knew then. I appreciate those who taught me also.
Winton

leparker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2014
Weyers Cave, VA
Right on 12pups, well said!! I'd probably be smoking Sir Walter Raleigh or Cherry Blend if I had not found this site. Thank you Kevin for Pipesmagazine.com. Also, thanks to each of you, veterans and newbies alike. I have learned from each of you and hope meet you all one day soon!

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
An excellent summation. I have found Pipes Magazine a great way to while away those long winter nights that have plagued NYC this year. The interesting discourses and fascinating look into the pipe smokers soul has enriched my life and touched it in ways that I never imagined. I am so happy to poodle around this Forum, say hello to my friends, lit up my pipe and mix a stiff drink. All of the above achieved without having to navigate around the wretched Bloomberg smoking rules! Thank you Kevin and everyone else who post here.

eastwoodaudio

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 23, 2013
I agree 100%, I have learned an incredible amount here since I joined. I too was stumbling blindly, knowing no one else personally who smoked a pipe. The collective wealth of knowledge is absolutely amazing, and it's truly great to have a place to share my experience with you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.