PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
WKI3zHPl.jpg

Jun 27, 2016
Well shucks, may as well get in some Flickr practice. I'm trying to get as far away from Photobucket as possible.

Flickr is really fast, but it works a little differently, and it's a little more difficult to grab the URLs as opposed to Photobucket. But Photobucket barely loads anymore without locking up the browser (Chrome, Firefox) with all of its pop-ups and re-directs, so It's time to go. Bye Photobucket!

32468072905_a9835fb955_z.jpg

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
How is it difficult to get the URL? Just Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location.

Jun 27, 2016
Grabbing a URL in Flickr as compared to Photobucket? Flickr's a little different. Maybe you're a Flickr expert. I just started using it a couple days ago.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Ah, just the opposite of expert with Flickr just tried it now.... Looks like the normal method that works virtually everywhere else will not work there. Damn. Sorry.

Jun 27, 2016
Well I appreciate that you went through such efforts, jpmcwjr. My impression of "Flickr", besides the dumb name, is that it has a bit of a steep learning curve in terms of how things will be accessed by outsiders depending on the settings, the location of the photos and how the links are posted, and also how one is to find the URL for clickable thumbnails. In terms of speed when actually accessing the site and moving through it/doing things on it, Flickr seems to blow Photobucket out of the water on all fronts. There is no pork. no B.S. . Things load, things move, you can edit things, delete things, change settings, one-two-three. I'll maintain my P-bucket album if necessary, but I'll never go back there voluntarily.
:puffy:

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm still using Photobucket (try an ad blocker). It's the only one with such a large free file storage. At 2,001 photos, I'm only using 33% of the free storage.
With photobucket, on the right side of the page, at the "Share This Photo" box, you just copy the IMG url (it automatically copies) and paste directly into the thread. I think that Flickr was the same way? (don't use the IMG function in the thread box here)

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016

Well, I was going to ask Dave what he did, but I just tried your suggestion Al. If the photo shows, it is just detail of a Prince bowl I had laying around.
I created a Photobucket account just for posting stuff here, so if it works now, at least that will help make up for some of its aggravation. Like they say, it is free.

Jun 27, 2016
Yes, I see your photo, toobfreak! If Pbucket starts rubbing you the wrong way, try something else! I know it ain't just me, simply Google "Why does Photobucket suck so bad?" =)
ssjones
I'm still using Photobucket (try an ad blocker). It's the only one with such a large free file storage. At 2,001 photos, I'm only using 33% of the free storage.
With photobucket, on the right side of the page, at the "Share This Photo" box, you just copy the IMG url (it automatically copies) and paste directly into the thread. I think that Flickr was the same way? (don't use the IMG function in the thread box here)
Free Flickr gives me a TB, I'm never going to use all of it. (I'm sure that there are other services that are just as good as Flickr and much better than Pbucket, but I just happened to pick Flickr after reading a bunch of reviews on various hosting sites.)
It's really easy to copy the URLs on Photobucket to post pics or clickable thumbnails. They are listed right below every photo in my album.
Except when the page partially loads, and I cannot right-click on anything on the page for about five minutes, if ever. (This happens quite often to me in Pbucket, in addition to their pop-ups and re-directs.)
Flickr is not so obvious (at first) as to where you will be able to grab the URLs to post pics or clickable thumbnails, or how the privacy settings actually affect things, or when you have to use the IMG function in the thread box, but at least the site seems to run smoothly and super-fast at all times, no matter what I am doing on it. Zero ads of any kind at all. No ads. One more time, that's no ads on my screen when I am using the Flickr. Zero pop-ups. Zero re-directs. No lagging, hanging, or any problems otherwise.
I started thinking about pop-up / ad-blockers when Pbucket started spazzing out most recently. My two browsers that I use (Chrome or Firefox. Never Internet Explorer.), already have them built-in, and they are activated. If pop-ups still get through, I don't think "I need more pop-up blockers and ad-blockers!", I think "Website "X" is overly intrusive and irritating, and I need to stop using it!".
I started thinking that the pop-up blockers built into my browsers might actually be hindering Photobucket from running "properly". At that point, I decided that I can't be arsed anymore with nonsense-Photobucket. They have been on my list of things to stop using for two or three years now, ever since they re-vamped their site and it became spam central. I think that their game is to frustrate you into paying out of their pop-ups and re-directs.
I still think that a visible sticky thread on this forum where users can test posting photos would be very beneficial for those who want to practice posting photos without starting a new thread in a random sub-forum every time. Every so often, a mod could delete all of the posts if it becomes a strain on resources. I guess that a person could go to the album to practice, but I doubt that most users are even aware that it exists, because it's not a direct component of the forums. At least it does not feel like one to me. Some sites have a "post preview" option next to the "send post" button, so people can see prior to posting whether or not their URLs are set up the way that they want. I'm guessing that a sticky thread is easier to implement, and more people would be encouraged to learn how to post pics on this site if they had an obvious, dedicated spot to test in. Personally, I feel like a dummy posting a test-thread every time I need to test something, and sure enough, others drop by and tell me how easy it should be to do what I am trying, and why can't I figure it out. I can handle that, but I'll bet that many users won't even bother to try because they don't like making themselves a target, or they feel out of place posting up a temporary test-thread in one of the regular forums, not knowing if it is acceptable.

What do you all think?

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
Well, me personally, Duane of chasingembers showed me how to use the forum's album which works, but the pictures are small. Using Photobucket allows bigger, better pictures. AFAIK, Flickr is owned by Yahoo and it has a lot of bugs too. Photobucket is dog slow and twitchy, but there seems to be a way of suppressing all the ads they were emailing me. I don't normally use this stuff so it has far more space than I'll ever need. I neither need nor want the "cloud."

Jun 27, 2016
Oh, ok, so you guys are using the album here to actually host the pics. I guess that works, I'd prefer to host 3rd party and just post the links here. I thought that Duane meant that he had used the album to test posting pics.

There might be a way to suppress those Pbucket ads by loading more blockers onto my computer. It seems easier to take the path of least resistance by not loading more stuff onto the computer, and finding a hosting site that won't spam incessantly. Yeah, Flicker needs you to have or create a Yahoo account, so you have to put in a valid phone number. Most complaints that I read about flickr seemed to be non-issues or things that I don't care about. When I was reading reviews on selecting a new hosting site, there were a couple others that I was considering as well, where you might not have to do something like tie yourself into an umbrella company with a phone number, but I don't know.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Use Imgur. One of the best. Free and no irritating ads that I recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.