Tenon trouble (crazy with the krazy glue)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
I've been refurbishing pipes for some time now and I have never seen this. The previous owner has glued the broken tenon to the stem and also into the mortise. The latest EBay purchase is a B.P. Jum which falls in with my chunky Tom Howard and Custom-bilt

Collection. I've tried acetone which separated the stem from briar ,but did not free the tenon. I

then tried an alcohol bath to no avail .Do you have any suggestions on how to proceed from here. Any help would be appreciated .
Thanks

Tim

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Drill it out in several steps. Getting the glue off the end of the shank so that a new stem will set flush against it with no gaps may be a problem.

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
Drill it out in several steps. Getting the glue off the end of the shank so that a new stem will set flush against it with no gaps may be a problem.
Totally agree. Trying to loosen up the glue, whether it be CA or not just isn't going to happen. It most definitely must be drilled out in increments. Getting the stem to be flush with the shank may be somewhat of a challenge if you don't have the proper tooling. That's not to say it can't be done, but it will indeed take some careful working.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
The tenon is probably just stuck and not glued. Probably why it broke off in the first place. I'd start a wood screw in the tenon. Then I'd hit the shank with a heat gun to get the gunk softened. Then I'd try twisting it CW whilst pulling the screw with a pliers. Dangerous yeah. But it might work.

smoothsailing

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 7, 2013
Perth N.Y. (Adirondack area )
I'll give the heat gun a go and the drill if that fails.I've rebuilt tenons with hollow tubing in the past and would rather go that route,but if the drill is needed are there any recommendations for a replacement stem of a larger size.

Thanks

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
Yeah, that is going to a bit of a challenge, but I have worked on worse. I agree with the others, that you are most likely going to need to drill. If you don't already have one, get a very good drill press vise. I suspect you already have one since you have rebuilt stems before. Re-facing the stummel could be the hard part depending on the tools you have available. You can probably do a very good job with a forstner bit as long as you maintain the same alignment with it that you have when drilling out the broken tenon. Just keep in mind that if you change the alignment at all, the face of the stem will no longer be square to the face of the shank. As far as a bigger tenon goes, that is going to depend on how large a drill you use to drill out the old tenon. When I repair a pipe in this kind of condition, I try to stay as close as possible to the original diameter and not go any larger than I have to. I suggest that you use delrin to make the replacement tenon. Again I caution that alignment is an absolute must when drilling into the stem or you will have a very hard time ever getting the stem to fit correctly with the replacement tenon. I use a lathe for these types of repairs, but it can be done with a drill press and careful planning. Just some of my thoughts. If there is anything I can do to help, just let me know.
Wes

www.rebuiltbriars.com

kf4bsb

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 23, 2013
Congratulations! Glad you were able to get that off without drilling, and kudos to xrundog for the suggestion. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Status
Not open for further replies.