PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
So here a new one on me! Had the tenon come right out of the bit, undamaged, and intact! It looks like the glue holding it came undone. Its a Lucite stem. Anyone have any idea what to use to reattach? besides superglue. Any clue what the pros use?

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I don't know what the pros use, but I first put grooves on the tenon with a dremel tool and use a two part epoxy to secure the tenon into the stem.

jeepnewbie

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
Byron
www.facebook.com
I use the gorilla glue that expands slightly. Wet what you want to glue a little apply very little of the gorilla glue (but not near the edge) so when you slide it in it will expand out the spot you just put it in so you can cut it off. Before you glue be sure to make some grooves, I use it and it works great.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I don't know what the pros use, but I first put grooves on the tenon with a dremel tool and use a two part epoxy to secure the tenon into the stem.
Yep.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
A slight addition-

Grooves in the tenon with the Dremel tool.

Also cut some grooves in the mortise with the dremel tool.

Two part epoxy applied inside mortise with q tip. Apply also to tenon.

After you snug it into place, run a pipe cleaner in through the bit and out through the tenon to remove most of the epoxy that you just clogged up your airway with.

Once that cures, twist in a drill bit by hand through the tenon to remove the dried epoxy and bits of pipe cleaner fuzz...

(There's a reason I switched to hand threaded Delrin a few weeks ago...)

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
Ahhh you are most likely experiencing ultra cheap pipe syndrome which I am familiar with.

Many modern pipes in addition to being hyper sensitive, some can be way cheap. Like Leonessa. Bad-Cheap tenon design.

I Always allow the pipe to cool before breaking down, this is a must as the wood makes a dynamic expansion etc. that is also to do with moisture.

Many of the bit and tenons are made from delrin which is next to impossible to bond with conventional solvents etc. The tips about dremel are good and as well I will sand the surface and after the bowl is cool, it me need to be lightly reamed at the opening if it is way tight. Quickset epoxy can do the job. Cleaning plastic with acetone before bonding can remove contaminants. Acetone is a solvent for many plastics so use care. It will not disturb delrin. For the purist there are agents designed to bond delrin, but is it really worth the trouble???
I had a Grabow in my youth that had a semi military style connection. That damn pipe was rugged as hell, indestructable and smoked great.

The one sub par pipe in my collection is going to be weeded out due to my intolerance for lack of quality.
All the best.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I would contact the maker. Unless they are lousy scoundrels, they will fix it for free in addition to knowing they need to do better. This is the primary reason I typically don't use Delrin. It's so slippery that glue doesn't stick to it. That's why you have to have grooves cut on both the tenon and the mortise so that it locks in place.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I don't know what the pros use but I'd sure get a pro to repair it properly. There are several fine pipe repairment in our hobby and if the pipe is a good one, it would be well worth the dollars spent to have it professionally repaired. I suspect you'd receive a stem with a new tenon.
Best,
Pipestud

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I would contact the maker. Unless they are lousy scoundrels, they will fix it for free in addition to knowing they need to do better. This is the primary reason I typically don't use Delrin. It's so slippery that glue doesn't stick to it. That's why you have to have grooves cut on both the tenon and the mortise so that it locks in place.
Glad to see you back Wayne!
Pipestud

vigil

Might Stick Around
Nov 12, 2013
The only adhesive for dissimilar connections with Delrin (according to DuPont) is BondIt.... I won't get into the detail Dupont does. But, there arn't alot of free electrons/protons to bond materials together with Delrin. So, specialized glues are used that are usually water thin and have properties such that they latch onto every free electron/neutron/proton that they can in the Delrin, and have enough left over to weave their way into the structure itself for the bond.
Kinda like using MEK with styrene materials.

starcat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 24, 2013
I think in the case I was dealing with the pipe was not worth getting back to the OEM about and a disappointing one to hang onto.

As far as the design goes they can be made without the need for the 2 piece bonded affair if they wanted to go that route.

Status
Not open for further replies.