PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
I remember a conversation in regards to polishing straight razors where although the speed on the buffer was fixed at 1800 you could theoretically slow this down by either going up or down (can't Remember which way)in the size of the buffing wheel you put on. The logic was the apparent speed at the surface of the wheel would change.
Anyone know which way I need to go in size? And what is best speed for polishing stems and pipes

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Smaller wheel to reduce the surface speed.
Speed = rmp x 3.14159 x diameter of wheel (inches) 1/12 ft/in gives FMP
Try this for info on buffing

http://www.pipes.org/faqs/the-asp-buffing-and-polishing-faq/
"Use a small wheel (four inch diameter), and read

- then re-read – the section on how to calculate the designated speed for

these operations: Surface Feet Per Minute. The ideal speed for a beginner is

750 to 1000 SFPM: you will not easily remove edges and contours or remove stock"

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I played with this when I first started "playing" with restoring pipes. Used in the test were 2, 3, 5 and 6 inch buffing wheels and using carnauba wax (might be different results with polishing compound - I would suspect so). The 3 inch seemed to do the best at applying the first coat (firmer pressure) and fine polishing (less pressure). The 3 inch does 17,000 inches per minute at the surface. The 6 inch does 34,000 (since this is a linear relationship).

racerx

Might Stick Around
Feb 21, 2014
Southern California
Why is it so difficult to find slower buffing wheels? I'd like to find a 6" setup that runs 1500-1750 RPM or so. Seems like everything out there is 3000+ RPM. Even the inexpensive little 1/4 HP units run too fast. Anyone know where I can find a good deal on a slower benchtop buffer? I'd like a 2-wheel model to run white diamond on one side and carnauba wax on the other.
Overbuffed estate pipes are becoming an epidemic! Looks like people are buffing them too aggressively and/or at too high a speed. And buffing the stem off the shank! Aaaargh! I hate rounded-off corners at the stem-shank junction.

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
After reading through the provided link (thank you again, very educational), how many hobbyists on here have a proper buffer/polishing lathe versus a grinder that you have adapted?
I have two grinders that I am working with one a small ryobi cheapy

IMG_8107+sm.jpg

Then a larger unit that has had some custom work done, but is removable.

20140622_105227_zpsenbw19f7.jpg

My goal is to set-up something that will allow me to clean up the odd estate pipe. Nothing fancy. So am I better off scrapping these and going investing in a proper buffer with variable speed?
is anyone else using these? What are your results, keeping in mind my objective.

metarzan

Nov 14, 2012
After much dickering about I went with a cheap variable speed wood lathe from Harbor Freight. I use the 1700rpm setting I believe, but will turn much slower if needed. I bought a mandrel to hold the buffing wheels but think I could have went DIY with threaded bolt, PVC spacers and washers.

morton

May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Some guys use furnace motors and bearing races with a threaded rod and a Beall buffing kit or similar. Furnace motors generally run at 1750 rpm and that's what many pipe restorers seem to recommend. Reborn Briar has a blog showing a spiffy home made setup that looks like it would work quite well.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
This is my home made setup. Two 1725 RPM motors mounted on an old TV stand that has castors and can be slid under the bench when not in use.My shop is quite small. Motor on right is a 1/8Th HP. on left is a 1/6th HP. I use 6" wheels. Works quite well for me.

100_6097-1280x960-600x450.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.