PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2013
Hello every one I'm new to the forum and to pipe smoking in fact today was the first day i smoked my new pipe that I got from pipes and cigars .com and the smoke was not pleasant. I was smoking home and hearths stockade and I couldn't even finish the bowl because all I could taste was plastic and ash not to mention the five lights to get it going. So I don't know if I didn't pack it right or if its the pipe. I was also using kitchen matches to light I don't know if that would affect anything, but any help and advise would be much appreciated as I still want to give this a chance. Thanks, Kevin

kris

Can't Leave
Sep 16, 2012
Welcome!
You are smoking a new pipe. Pipes take a number of smokes to "break in". Just be patient & keep puffing.

namuna

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 22, 2013
Sheeee-it, I'm brand new to piping as well... I'm still in the under 50 smokes category!
Only just recently has the tobacco started to NOT all taste like smoking burnt nuts!
Truth be told, I couldn't tell you if it's because I'm getting better at lighting the tobacco, or if I'm learning to get used to that burnt nut and am starting to distinguish the other flavors, or maybe the pipes I'm using (up to 4 now, and growing) are breaking in and providing better taste.
Patience and keeping at it, that's what it takes

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
As roth and kris point out, this hobby takes practice and patience. I've been smoking pipes for 43+ yeras and still find new things to learn. The first year is a huge learning curve. I had no one to teach me the finer points. This site is a Godsend to many so stick with it and continue to read the posts here.

There's nothing we codgers love more than passing knowledge, experience (good and bad) along to the new pipers.

Hang in there and practice, practice, practice.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
What pipe did you get from P&C, I hope it's not the free corncob pipe, they are from China and are TERRIBLE! Also what tobacco were you smoking? Getting the right pipe and blend really matter, for beginners I always recommend getting a corn cob pipe and something forgiving and easy to light as a tobacco like Lane 1-Q, Sugarbarrel, Carter Hall, Captain Black White (regular), Frog Morton Regular or Cellar, you get it :) I have to note, in that list, the Frog Morton will be difficult for a beginner to light, but it has no bite and has a great flavor that isn't too intense.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
namuna:
Only just recently has the tobacco started to NOT all taste like smoking burnt nuts!
That is the quote of the day!
But in all seriousness machiningpipes, all that has been said is right. Patience being the key word. Let your tobacco dry out some on a paper plate before you smoke it. That can help too.
By the time you get your pipe broke in, you'll have learned a lot.
Keep at it.

Oct 7, 2013
Thanks for all the help guys it's nice to now I'm not the only one that is having troubles starting out ill just keep at it. And what do you guys recommend lighting with, I was looking at a zippo but heard that some people get the taste of lighter fluid. Thanks once again, Kevin

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Lighter or matches doesn't really matter all that much when you're starting out, but I like matches much better. The flame is cooler and I feel like I have more control. (Just make sure the match has finished flaring up before you light or else you'll get a sulphur taste in your pipe.)
Anyhow, I don't know about the "plastic" part, but the "ashes" taste can come from smoking too fast and hot. Every Virginia I smoked when I first started out tasted like soot and ashes -- until I learned to slow down and let the fire burn cooler.
By the way, what kind of pipe did you buy? If there's a plastic taste, it's got to be from the pipe, unless you have a strong aversion to artificially flavored aromatics -- some people describe those as having a "chemical" taste, but I've never heard plastic before.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
I prefer only using a pipe insert Zippo with the normal black can of fuel (not the butane insert). I don't get the taste of lighter fluid at all when lighting and it works excellent outdoors even on a windy day.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I must have a mouth chemistry issue too because OTC aromatics produce a taste that I would describe as "plastic" -- especially in the finish, or aftertaste.

cmdrmcbragg

Lifer
Jul 29, 2013
Gotta be the new pipe that needs breaking in. Like wearing a new pair of shoes around the house ... except this takes longer to do. Could be the tobacco as well, but I'd lean more towards the pipe being the culprit. Only option is to press on (the right way) or quit (the cowards way, lol). Fight through, though I am not a good one to talk ... I have new pipes that I don't use as often as my tried and true pieces. Breaking in is one of the least fun parts of smoking IMO.

shayde

Can't Leave
Oct 4, 2013
I use kitchen matches from Walmart in my MM Corn Cob and I've never once had a smoke taste like ash and plastic. Maybe they screwed up when blending the tobacco or you just have a cheap pipe. I would recommend picking up a cheap Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe. If you smoke the corn cob and you still get the flavor of plastic and ash then most likely it's the blend. However, if it makes it better then you know it's an issue with the pipe. Or you may just not like smoking pipes, I'd recommend picking up an aro that's had something added to it for flavor, if it is indeed the tobacco making you have an unpleasant smoke. If you search 'how to pack a pipe' on YouTube and watch a couple videos you'll know if you're doing it right or not. Being a fairly new smoker myself i also have to relight a couple times, but I find that false lighting it at first helps me have a longer smoke between relights. I'd love to hear what you're going to do or try or what not.
Cheers,

Shayde

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
I must have a mouth chemistry issue too because OTC aromatics produce a taste that I would describe as "plastic" -- especially in the finish, or aftertaste.
That was was first thought, as well. I get that nasty chemical taste and mouth irritation form most all OTCs and aromatics I've tried. I know I'm not alone with this problem, but I learned not to talk about it much on fora, because it's often taken as aromatic and OTC bashing -- which it's not. Would love to smoke them, but can't.
So, OP, maybe try a tinned, more natural tobacco with less adulterants and see if you get more joy of them.

Oct 7, 2013
Thanks for the help everyone, I think the plastic taste is from the pipe i tried some orlick golden flake but still got the plastic taste, so when I was done I cleaned the pipe and then took some puffs on the pipe and still got a plastic taste. So I'm just going to stick with it, I thought I might look at an estate pipe to see what the difference is when there brook in, Shayde I have been looking at the pony express corn cob I think I'm going to order it later to day. I have to go into town soon so I think I'll pick up a zippo pipe lighter at the smoke shop and see what I like better, a lighter or matches.

bjarketn

Lurker
Sep 24, 2013
Denmark
Getting an estate pipe sounds just right for you - I say go for it!

If you have a pipe club nearby, talk to them. There are bound to be a few members who have some pipes for sale (and often they'll not charge very much, in the spirit of helping out a newcomer), and since they're enthusiasts they will have taken good care of their pipes.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I agree with the comments about the importance of learning from those who know and practice. I'm 12 years in but only in the last 6 mos. have I been able to claim any kind of mastery with smoking technique. Try to learn to smoke slowly from the start; it will help you greatly in the long run. There's a secret about how to not burn your mouth and tongue: smoke slowly.
Ask every question that comes to mind. Pipe smokers are a helpful community.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
Welcome to the forum, and the hobby. Like people have said, pipe smoking is a long learning curve, and part of the journey. Definitely read those introductory forums. A few things I found really made a difference for me:
1. Dry your tobacco a bit- leaving a bowl out to dry, even 30 minutes, can really help. Wet smoke= hot smoke.

2. SLOW DOWN. You'll hear this about 8,000 times, and you should listen every time. Smoke slow. If you're pipes goes out- so be it!

3. Read, read, read, listen, listen, listen on this forum.

4. Keep at it. For a long time I smoked a pipe not really enjoying it, thinking there must be something more to it. Then I discovered the right kind of baccy for me and the advice on this forum- now I find it very enjoyable.

nachman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 27, 2013
I have been smoking pipes for over fifty years and have bought three pipes in the last two months or so. Two (Savinellis) tasted great. One (a Kaywoodie) tasted like burnt plastic. Some pipes take a lot more breaking in than others. If you get a MM corn cob, I would recommend a full size pipe. If I recall correctly, the Pony Express is smaller than the Legend or Diplomat etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.