PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
I've been smoking pipes for a long time. I would like the opinion of others on something. I have seemed to aquire and dislike the tarry taste I am getting in my pipes. Yes they are aged somewhat and I do a regular cleaning but still get the nasty taste when I smoke. I have tried the salt treatment, cleaning with alcohol, etc. It seems fine for a little while, but returns. I usually smoke burleys, mostly OTC brands, PA and Granger. All or almost all my pipes are the bent style, just like the way they feel. Could it be the tobacco I smoke? I tried varying the tightness of how I pack it, noticing if I pack it a little tighter, it is not as bad, but remains. I am not a big fan of aros, but if I do smoke them I mix with the burley. Maybe I need to change pipe style to a straigher stem? Any thoughts out there?

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Maybe you should just try a retort kit...I recently retorted one of mine that I had just cleaned and it was still pretty nasty

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
#1 Chris, a lot of bent pipes have a lot of crap where the tendon mates in the shank, heavies are there and only a retort will clean it up. The old cajun

gray4lines

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 6, 2012
KY
Maybe dry the pipes out longer after you smoke?
Maybe the pipes you have just need more rest in between smokes.
Bent pipes are a little harder to keep clean, more stem, sometimes harder to pass a cleaner, but I don't imagine that would cause such a big and noticeable problem.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
How often do you run cleaners through your pipes between your alcohol cleanings? It sounds to me like the stems,not the bowl, which is what a salt treatment is for.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Maybe dry the pipes out longer after you smoke?

Maybe the pipes you have just need more rest in between smokes.
That's the same thought I had as well.

OTCs tend to have a lot more PG (Propylene Glycol)than the "boutique" blends... (tins)

PG keeps the moisture in OTCs to extend the shelf-life of these products.

While some OTCs are (IMHO) great, the PG can have some unwanted effects on pipes.

That being the retention of moisture causing the souring of your pipes to occur a bit faster than one might expect. (May not be a fact, but that's what I think is happening in my pipes.)

My remedy for this is to simply let the pipe rest for a month or more allowing it to completely dry out; then, I'll give it a good cleaning.

Voila!... a wonderful smoke.

That's what I do when I have issues like you're experiencing.

Good question. :clap:

:puffy:
T minus EIGHT

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
Thanks everyone for your help. I noticed a few things. Yeah, I took two pipes and cleaned them with everclear and let them dry out for about a week. Yes I know I should dry them out a little longer but I was curious. What a difference! Also over the years I guess I seemed to aquire a fast cadence while smoking. Didn't realize I was puffing away. I slowed everything down a bit and that seemed to help a lot. I guess I need to get one or two more pipes for my rotation. Yeah that sounds good !!!
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.