PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

phokus

Lurker
Jan 1, 2015
Hello everyone,
My father recently gave me his collection of African meerschaum pipes that he purchased in Tanzania during the 1970s. Out of all of he pipes in the collection, one pipe is standing out to me as odd. The pipe has never been used, and was put away in his crawlspace for decades. It has the elephant marking of the Tanganyika meerschaum corporation, and is of a usual style for african meers. But on the inside of the bowl, it appears to have a grain and strongly resembles wood. I'm just wondering if this is typical of African meers, or is this pipe made of wood?
Below is a link to an imgur album of the pipe, the third picture in the set shows the grain (as best as my camera can show) that is odd to me. I would appreciate any information anyone can provide. Thanks!
http://imgur.com/a/KKwhL

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Judging by the looks of that rim, that pipe has definitely been smoked at some point in its life. As for your question, definitely meerschaum on the inside.

phokus

Lurker
Jan 1, 2015
Chasingembers, You might be right, but I don't think it has been smoked. I think the rim has been coloured artificially during the manufacturing process. Thank you for the reply.
Giggers, That is entirely possible, he said he purchased them at the factory so they could have been in various stages of production or seconds. Thanks for the reply.
In case you want to see the rest of the collection, here is another imgur album:

http://imgur.com/a/hog7C

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Very nice collection! Love the calabash, and the one with the tube. Looks like a meerschaum hookah!

K

klause

Very nice collection.
I have 3 pipes the same as the one in the 4th picture down, except they are rusticated - I've never seen one in the smooth finish like that - it's absolutely gorgeous. A very elegant pipe. Also, I think you'll find, if you decide to smoke it, that it will be a sublime flake pipe.
Beautiful collection - I hope they bring much pleasure in the years to come.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I believe the company name is Kiko? I found one poker style/cob style in a group of cobs I bought within my first forays of estate pipe acquisition. It took me awhile to clear the stem, which was blocked right near the bowl, and it is probably the lightest pipe I own. That coloration on the rim is factory finish.

xrundog

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2014
Ames, IA
Looks to me like the rim was fumed. During that process it colored the inside a bit. Looks like it might be waxed as well.

david555

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 15, 2014
I also see a resemblance with a Kiko pipe, and I also believe that the rim has been fumed by the maker and has not yet been smoked.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
That is definitely an unsmoked Tanganyika meerschaum. The rim coloration was added during manufacturing, probably because African meer does not color in as quickly as Turkish meer. I have seen several unsmoked Tanganyika meers, and the lines you see are typical. The website huntertrw recommended is great for identifying your pipes. You have got yourself a great looking set of African meers. Enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.