PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterzombie

Lurker
Dec 30, 2012
So I have a few beginner questions that I haven't really seen answers to. This may seem like a stupid question but when you tamp down to keep your pipe lit, should you be taking in puffs while doing so? Even though I only use the weight of my tamper, it tends to kill the burn. Also while I have the pipe in my mouth and breathe, some air tends to go back into the pipe. Is this something that is killing my burn? If so, how do I prevent it? Lastly, with lighting, how long should I keep the flame over the tobacco? I partly wonder if I'm burning the tobacco too long as the smoke gets hot when I lite it. Thanks everyone and happy smoking :)

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Welcome Zombie!
I'm a visual guy and while reading something gives me the jist, watching really helps put the words into my actions. There are a lot of good pipe smoking videos on youtube. There are also some really lousy ones too... Anyway, watch other people smoke, tamp, fill, light... Lotsa different ways. Find one that suits you. Just my 2 cents. Cheers!

wildcat

Jan 1, 2012
Rothnh pretty much got you on the right track there. As you gain exp. your method may change, but stick to what Rothnh said and you will be on your way.
Agreed. Watching someone do it right helped me tho...

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
misterzombie:
Welcome to the forum -- and to pipe smoking! I'll just add that you should not worry about little breaths going back into the pipe while you're smoking. In fact, this is one of the ways to keep the pipe going, and I'd recommend getting into the habit of breathing very gently back into the pipe every now and then as you smoke.
Pipe smoking is science and art. You'll get the hang of what works for you over time. You'll also find, though, that you'll need to approach different tobaccos (and different cuts) differently. When you're trying a new blend, you may have to adjust your approach to figure out what will work best with that blend to maintain a light and to reap the most flavor from it.
On the other hand, don't be afraid of using matches! Sure, we sometimes get through a whole bowl with only one or two matches. But if you're smoking a dense flake, say, it may take a half-dozen. If you're using a half-dozen matches for a lighter ribbon-cut blend, though, it may be a sign that you need to adjust your puffing technique. But don't fret about keeping a light to the extent that you're puffing so vigorously that you're creating a bowl that's too hot to touch.
Bob

Aug 14, 2012
Draw while tamping as shaintiques said above. Resting the tamper lightly on the burning tobacco after tamping and drawing a few times is the best way to rescue a smoke that is about to go out.

misterzombie

Lurker
Dec 30, 2012
Thanks for your input everyone :) Today I had a much more flavor from my bowl. I wish it was like that everytime!

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
What if you do not own a tamp? Can you use something else? Anything metal? Preferably flat and round or what? Thanks for any info :)

redbeard

Jan 2, 2013
Went into my local tobacco shop and they had a small tamp + scoop for $0.89 :)

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
A 16 penny nail works great. I also have been known to pick up a random stick and sharpen one end to a point for a pick, using a flat end for the tamper.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Another way to keep your pipe going is place two fingers over the bowl restricting air flow and draw on the pipe a few times, this is handy if you are driving and don't want to reach for a tamper.

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
Another note on tamping. While smoking I try to tamp when the draw gets to light. It's a subtle change but if the pipe gets too easy to puff, it's time for a tamp. I draw while tamping so I can feel how much of a pack I'm creating. When I tamp I try to get the draw back to what it felt like when I first lit the pipe.
I made a couple of tampers out of dry twigs I found in the yard. I just whittled them down so they have a flat end for tamping and they work great.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Other than durning the lighting process I try not to tamp until half way down the bowl . Lately I been useing a Mitchell Thomas tamper and have been useing the thin poker more than the tamper part . The tamper has a good feel and heft . http://pipesandcigars.com/mithslpitoin.html

machurtado

Lurker
Jun 12, 2012
Igloo when you say your using the poker more are not actually tamping the tobacco but allowing more air to the ember?

smokedogrememberthatsht

Might Stick Around
Nov 18, 2012
Florida
Did anyone catch a few shows back when Brian was talking about his tamper that was like an inverted cone, so it pushed down the sides and not the middle of the bowl? Sounds like a good concept, where can I get one?

troutface

Lifer
Oct 26, 2012
Colorado
I cut about 3 1/2" off an antler tip of a small buck for a tamper. Flat on the bottom for tamping and pointy on the other end for cleaning out the bowl. Nice and light too. Just remember to shoot the buck first, the live ones don't appreciate it too much :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.