New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
In between the hustle and bustle of getting repairs done and tending the gardens, I've managed to finish a few new tampers. I mostly use old world techniques to create one of a kind work, but with these three I am also trying to keep them as much alike as possible, just as an exercise for myself. I am using blacksmithing techniques to forge these from bar stock, with the first in bronze and the rest in sterling silver, using a hammer as my main tool. It is much less of a delicate technique than is usually seen in jewelry, but I think that it gives these a rustic look like wrought iron. I think that it fits a small ritual item like this, IMO.
il_570xN.774172584_odr0.jpg

This one was forged in bronze, and I added a copper foot for the tamp, and a sterling silver spade for the scoop or scrape. The inlaid stone is Andamooka opal from Australia, which has a moderate pinfire of blues and greens, and two garnets on both sides to make each side look the same.
il_570xN.774178430_ibpx.jpg

Notice the crosshatch designs along the side and the texture of the shanks. I was thinking that it gave them interest as well as making them feel good in the hand. This one has tiger iron, which is formed in much the same way as opals, and it has that transcendental play of light similar to opals. Ths one has two beautifully deep yellow/orange citrines.
il_570xN.774224483_in3m.jpg

This one has an interesting type of opal in it, which was formed in volcanic stone from Mexico, called Leopard opal. It doesn't take a glossy polish like most stones, and the pinfire isn't as bright, but it is an interesting red and pattern, worthy of gazing at while contemplatively enjoying your pipe. This one also has two sky blue turquoise cabs, which are like pieces of the sky. If you are interested, you can find more information about my work, here.
Suggestions, feedback, and ideas welcome, what do you think?​

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Well done! I really like the "old world" look of those tampers. They are very beautiful and unique as well. :puffy:

dustmite

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2015
Very nice work. I like the slightly rustic, yet still upscale look.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Suggestions? Well then...ok. How about hammering out the spade portion from the main stock instead of adding it in?

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I agree with newbroom. I didn't notice the difference until he mentioned it. Beautiful work.

Status
Not open for further replies.