PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cigar smokers will quickly let it be known that they are amazed at how much furniture it takes for us pipe smokers to smoke.
I know, I know, I carry either a roofing nail or a golf tee in my pockets at all times, and sometimes three or four, ha ha. Nothing beats them for out and about. But, some of us, when we get home at the end of working, take the time to rub out a flake in our ceremonial leather pad, select one of our favorite artisan pipes, grab the Corona Old Boy off the shelf, and go through the ritual of settling on for the evening smoke. The tamp is just as much a part of our ritual as the pack. It is the fire tender. Tending the ritual flame of our process. The curved tamp for rounding off that perfect mound for the cherry, the poker blade for chasing the embers, stirring the pot, or evacuating the ashes. Why not have a magical stone on our ritual tamps? A slice of bent light, refraction, or opalescence. A stone that creates illusions of space and dancing colors. Something to gaze into as you contemplate the extraordinary flavors granted us by Lady Nicotine. And, just as the plant grows naturally from the fertile soils, these stones come to us from the Earth and all of its magical glory. All set into sterling silver that was hand forged, using old world techniques.

This one is set with some labradorite that I cut, which is a stone from the cold harsh land of the Vikings, Norway. A glimpse into Valhalla, the refraction of light off the ice and snow, or just magic in solid form, labradorite and spectrolite are two of my favorite stones. And, this one is also set with four faceted aquamarines of a greenish hue that compliments the array of colors in this labradorite spectrum.

This one is set with Andamooka opal from the harsh dry mines in Australia. While this one has a moderate pinfire of reds and greens, it still has a captivating movement of light within the stone as the stones moves back and forth.
Anyways, as much as I would love to put a link to my etsy to sell these things off to that special someone who might find these interesting enough to work into their smoking ritual. These are not a part of any special deals like the lapel pins were for forum members. These I actually need to pay the light bill with. I hope you understand. So, I won't put up a direct link that might anger Kevin or the mods. But, you guys know how to find me.
And, I was just wanting to show these off, and get your feedback. What do you think?

dulgunz

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2015
I think they are awesome! I am also making my own tampers out of wood and deer horn, but they don't even compare to your craftsmanship. I would definitely own one of those!

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
cosmicfolklore, Those are beautiful works of useful art. If I had a place sufficiently free of hazard in which to smoke with one, I would buy.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
So you made me drool on my sports jacket. Wow, tampers with stain glass windows. Only exceeded by the headline Tamper Tantrum. And I liked my headline Lovat Or Leave It. Nifty.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
I have a bit of a tamper fetish and I'm slowly building a small assortment. Some I have purchased and several I have made myself. Some are common and easily acquired and some are unique and one of a kind. Those definitely fall into the unique one of a kind category. Those are very nice indeed and I truly admire your talent!! :puffy:

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
As a fan of unique and interesting things, I was drawn to Cosmic's designs. I had a Mexican opal he incorporated into a tamper. It's a fine art piece and an heirloom I will cherish.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Wow Michael, those are amazing! The "Viking" stone in the first one is so cool, I've never seen one of those. Classy looking without being too fancy.

Makes the tampers I make out of 410 shot shells and sweet gum twigs look downright crude. (which they are I guess)

Love seeing your creations!

Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nice Work! Those are brilliant. I make my own tampers also, but my old high school shop teacher would have graded them a D-

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Cosmic, very nice gemstone tampers!

I can imagine a set of four with spade, heart, diamond, and club shapes theme.

johnnyreb

Lifer
Aug 21, 2014
Beautiful work, Cosmic! You gave me an idea. I have quite a few gem stones I have collected thru the yrs, mostly red jasper, white buffalo & turquoise. Some obsidian & lots of chert. Most still in the rough but some I have tumbled & polished. Among my tampers I often just use some broken antler tines. You've given me the idea of insetting a polished gem stone in the antler as an end cap.
I've also been putting aside pieces of elk ivory with the thought of turning & carving a chess set. Gem stones might make nice crowns for the King & Queen.

Status
Not open for further replies.