PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 24, 2012
I flew in from Barcelona today and, after a nine hour flight with two small children, I need to have a good stiff scotch and enjoy a pipe. I only had the chance for one bowl during my vacation so I have some ground to make up.
Upon my return I was delighted to see an e-mail from Art of Ming Kahuna fame. I had commissioned a tamper from Art some weeks ago along with a Naifu pipe knife in his well-known Blood of Kings material. In addition, before I left on vacation, I also picked up a Time is Endless Tamper by Viktor Yashtylo that Mike at Briar Blues had for sale.
Here are some shots.

redbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 2, 2013
Welcome back, that knife looks WICKED! And those tampers are very cool! I'm more partial to the second one, just so much detail.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Very nice ! Love the color of the Ming Kahuna. The Yashtylo blows my mind! I seen that one or one like it somewhere.

daveinlax

Charter Member
May 5, 2009
WISCONSIN
I love to collect tampers. I love Mings and I really want one of the endless time tampers. I was going to get that one till I saw the price on Mike's update. Some consignor hit the jackpot on that one. I hope that price shakes a few loose from collections to eBay or Viktor does another run of them sometime. 8O

Dec 24, 2012
It was a fairly dear price to be sure, but I have been watching those tampers for some time and have seen what they have been going for so I didn't think the price was out of line. I heard that Yashtylo spends scores of hours on one tamper, so I wasn't convinced I was ever going to find a deal on one if I waited. I guess I just bit the bullet and paid. I may have been influenced by the fact that I was just in Paris where a diet coke costs the equivalent of $9 and a moderate hotel room (nothing lavish - and I mean nothing) in the central part of the city went for $550 per night.

Dec 24, 2012
The blade is, I believe, 6061 grade aluminum, whatever that means. It is meant to gently scale back cake without digging into the briar, so I believe the blade is not intended to be sharp like a knife used for cutting.

Dec 24, 2012
I was exchanging e-mails with Art at Ming Kahuna about the Naifu pipe knife and he sent me a couple of shots and a helpful description of how it is made and the materials.
Hey Dean. Here are two photos showing the Naifu in progress. The first one shows the aluminum portion after it has been ground down from a cut out section of 1/8 inch sheet aluminum. Just to get to this point is rather labor intensive as my tooling is quite basic using a bandsaw to cut out the section of aluminum and a bench grinder with a 24 grit disk (the disks that are used to grind concrete) to impart the rough shape.

The next photograph shows two key additions to the blank. A notch has been added at the base to allow for the positive locking of the tamp end internal peg. The hole drilled towards the front of the blade serves two purposes. First, it allows for the aluminum logo/pin to be drilled straight through the piece without disrupting the Blood of Kings. The Naifu is constructed just a like a fixed blade knife. The logo serves a dual purpose. It acts as a support pin helping to hold the Blood of Kings scale to the internal aluminum. It also serves as a logo. Without the hole in the blank if I was to drill straight through the internal aluminum considerable heat is generated which melts the Blood of Kings around the bore revolting in a horrible fit. Removing the internal aluminum in this area allows the drill bit to cut through resulting in a perfect bore. A secondary advantage of the whole in the blank is that it allows for the two Blood of Kings blanks to be adhered to each other, despite the intervening aluminum, offering further support. I tend to over-engineer my pieces.

As to 6061 grade aluminum, it is a great general purpose alloy that has applications in the aircraft and marine industries. I chose it for a number of reasons. First, it is very durable and takes a great finish. Also, and this is a big benefit, it is very, very slow to oxidize. As to the blade edge of the Naifu, you were correct that it is not intended to be sharp. Light scraping and picking are the intended purposes. I leave pipe reamers designed for reaming for that task. Even if I did put a sharp edge on the blade it wouldn’t hold the edge for long so it would be a fool’s errand.

Just a note on cleaning the pieces if they do oxidize. The easiest way is to use a non-abrasive chemical cleaner that works by chemical action. I can’t stress “non-abrasive” enough. A few good products are NervrDull and the Cape Cod Metal Polishing Cloth. And of course, if you ever want me to tough them up just ship them back to me and for the price of return shipping I will make them like new. I think that you will find them to be far more durable than one would expect.

goinslow

Lurker
Jul 19, 2014
The first one is from Ming Kahuna?
That is just gorgeous.....I would love to add one of those to my collection!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just gorgeous. I'm afraid I'd lose 'em. Isn't it funny; I haven't lost a ninety-eight cent pipe nail yet. That's

just how life works, for fumbling old me. I'd have one of these beauties dropped in the river before sunset.

Maybe I could find one with a big cork handle.

Status
Not open for further replies.