PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I would like to organize another tamper exchange. Yes, it was 13 degrees this morning, but yesterday was 45! I turned a tamper out of dogwood branch. Pictures are below.
The rules are few, but simple. You have to have been on the forum for a month and have at least 50 posts to take part. You have to make the tamper yourself out of any material and in any style. You have to post a picture of the tamper on this thread and send it to another carver at the end of the exchange.
This is open to all skill levels. It does not matter if you have a shop full of tools, or simply a knife in your pocket. I picked up my branch while trimming a tree. Also, I am sure that no one will complain if you include a small sample of tobacco with your tamper.
The exchange will close on Saturday 2/23, when I return home from the last class of my MBA program.
Winton
Tampermug_zps3eabf644.jpg

Tampermughorizontal_zpsbc5f9dcc.jpg

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Looking like there's not as much interest this time. If it gets off the ground I'll join in.

uberam3rica

Lifer
Sep 7, 2011
Capac, Michigan
I'll join too. I'm done with school, so I'll have more free time. Just as a suggestion, I wouldn't set up a day for the exchange to close until we have people more signed up. Just food for thought.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Winton:
I almost missed this in your post.
Congratulations on finishing up your Masters degree.
Well done, Sir.
Fnord

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I suspect that more people will be interested, once we have some pictures posted. We had some really amazing tampers last time. The exchange date is certainly movable if that is what people want. Perhaps the bitter cold is scaring people from going out to their shops.
Winton

seaninkitale

Lurker
Nov 25, 2012
Another question about the materials I am seeing: Are those bullet casings I am seeing? I would be interested, but I am not there with the posts yet. :crying:

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Ed, that one is walnut. But I goofed and its not the right photo of what I'll be trading; that's a "collaboration" my son and I did and I doubt he'll want to let it go. I'll get the right photo posted as soon as I can, which may be a bit lol

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Seaninkitale, Yes, those are bullet casings. This is not required, but lots of guys use them. Some make their own ends from other metals. It depends on what tools and materials you have available. Unless you are using an extremely soft wood, like balsa, tamping a pipe won't hurt the tamper.
Philobeddoe, I don't know what Kevin thinks of the tamper exchanges that happen around here a couple times a year. I suspect he appreciates the way it builds community on the forums. Anyway Uberam can vouch for us.
Greg, I like the walnut. Your picture really captures the grain. I wish I could figure out how to make my pictures show the wood like yours does.

Status
Not open for further replies.