PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

klause

So, I didn't have a tamper that I felt was up to being used with, or even being seen in the same vicinity as my Briar Spirit pipe. And, I actually didn't have one that could really reach all the way down the chamber with ease, or fit the bore of the pipe comfortably.
So, inspired by Kirks work, I set to, and came up with this:
JASON-PIPETAMPER.jpg

Photos a bit dark, but you get the idea.

K

klause

Thanks, gents - much appreciated.
James, I used beech - a wood I'm particularly fond of. Just went with the natural curve of the branch.
I'll try and get some better pics up tomorrow.

judd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 3, 2014
Outstanding work, I'm not handy with any kind of wood working other than cutting a semi-straight line with a circular saw. That tamper will work with any kind of pipe.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I love the tamper. I would love to try to carve, but my wife does not allow me to have sharp items. Actually, my penmanship it terrible, so I can't draw or do anything but make small sticks out of big sticks.
Winton

K

klause

Gentlemen, thank you for the comments - really made my day.
Judd, your circular saw issues made me laugh out loud - and i can empathise, believe me.
Cosmic - thanks - I've been looking at you work, and I'm in awe. As for the fella carving faces, i think thats fabulous. I've seen a chap who goes around and does it in living trees, which while i can admire the artistic merit, i also have to deplore, as it will ultimately lead to the weakening/death of the tree.
Winton, that 4 inch stick started out as an 80Ft, 200 year old Beech tree - took a bit of doing, but i finally managed to relaease the stick hidden deep within! :) now, what to do with the giant pile of whittling chips?

luckylabrat

Lurker
Feb 23, 2014
Man, this is super cool! The tamps on here are always impressive. I really love the "flow" and the naturalness of the shape and the face is a cool touch!

costadelrica

Lurker
Mar 13, 2014
I'm not handly with any kind of working other than cutting a semi-straight line with a circular S. I like those natural kind of things with pipes too

klause, thank you, sorry I missed your comment. Yes, the tree carver here carves the faces into living trees. It's only cedars that he carves and only on the dead wood left behind after a limb dies off, so as not to hurt the living part of the trees.

Once again, thanks, and keep carving those cool faces.

Status
Not open for further replies.