Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
Thanks to The Old Cajun (and, inter alia, Fred Hanna's amusing article about this topic), I baked a tin of Erinmore Flake and have now had both baked- and unbaked flakes.
I enjoyed the unbaked right-out-of-the-tin floral/citrus aroma so much I was hesitant about baking the tin (I like Lakelands too, especially 1792): in other words, there didn't seem to be anything wrong with the Erinmore as it was; however, in deference to Bradley's opinion, I decided to follow through with my plan to bake the tin.
Consider me a convert.
After six hours at 190 degrees, and resting for a couple of days, I opened the tin. The flakes had darkened a bit, but I did not notice a difference in the tin aroma.
After drying a flake out and cube-cutting it, I tried it in a corncob, then in an Ardor Dublin, which is one of my better flake pipes.
The difference was nothing less than extraordinary.
What had been a nice flake with a lot of competing tastes and aromas had settled down into a more well-blended combination of flavor and scent. Nothing is over-the-top. The flavor is fairly intense, but not in the raw way the unbaked flakes presented themselves.
The lemon-grass scent of the original was so strong I was tempted to look around to find the lawnmower. The scent after baking is as if the grass were cut yesterday instead of five minutes ago -- still there, but subdued.
The flakes after baking seem to be more pliable and can be easily cut with dull scissors without pieces flying off in all directions.
The baked flakes would not bite, which is, in itself, reason enough for me to bake these tins.
I have also tried the baked Erinmore in a pipe usually reserved for non-floral flakes, as it seems that the baked product is less likely to ghost than it is in its "natural" state.
If you like Erinmore, consider baking it. I'm well-pleased with the results. Thanks for the suggestion, Cajun!

jbbaldwin

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 1, 2012
I only opened the tin because I needed to try it both before- and after baking. (Erinmore was new to me.)
After pulling a flake out, I covered the tin in aluminum foil, put the lid back on, and folded the foil around the tin and put it in the oven.
Of course, having done that once, I'll bake them all from now on -- the difference was that striking.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
This sounds crazy, and I've missed the original thread...but dangit if it doesn't sound crazy enough to try. Pulling a tin out of the cellar and popping it in the oven now. Will report back in a day or so.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
This good with any other blends?
The stoveing technique is very hit-or-miss, and quite dependent upon personal taste, but it's not an uncommon home preparation. I don't bother tinkering with others' blends often, but this one sounds fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.