PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
In a recent post, lestrout described Tambolaka as a "if you're man enough" tobacco.

If you don't know Tambolaka, it is Indonesian tobacco that includes some cigar leaf

and is well to the strong end of blends. I have only seen it at 4noggins online. Right

now I'm into kinder gentler blends, with a stronger one now and then. Who's tried

Tambolaka, and what was your experience? Would it be a mean trick to give it to a

friend who likes strong tobacco? Does it make your head spin and your ears ring?

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
I have tried Tambolika, and I cannot say that it made my head spin. But it is a very over powering flavor. Not an all day smoke, that is for sure. It might be good blended, but on it's own, it doesn't offer much to be desired.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Don't inhale it! For an evening smoke just sipping on the pipe while enjoying a good liquid refreshment is one of the better smokes you can have. Packed with flavor. Get the ready-rubbed version rather than the cylinder disc as the prep-time is a bugger for the cylinder brick.
Best,
Pipestud

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
pipestud, that sounds like a judicious way to enjoy Tambolaka. So much of enjoying blends depends

on how you go at them. Anyone else had experience with this tobacco?

brudnic1

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2012
Five puffs and you are on Lala land. Strongest nicotine hit I have ever experienced. Use a very small bowl.

decigar

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2013
Pipestud, thx for the info didnt know there was a ready rubbed version

bryanf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 16, 2013
Thanks for the heads up. I never actually had much interest in this tobacco. I don't like ultra strong tobacco. I have some GH ropes I can't even finish. They just make me want to sleep and don't particularly like the taste. Might try blending with some CH or PA. Maybe tambolaka would be decent for blending.

kcvet67

Jul 6, 2010
I'm with Pipestud on this one. It's not something I'd want on an everyday basis, but it's a good change of pace IF you high strong blends.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
About extra strong blends, I feel similarly about spicy food. I want any hot spices to bring up the

flavor of the other aspects of the dish. If I just want my forehead to sweat, I'll go sit in a sauna.

I do enjoy a powerful blend now and then, if not in rotation, but I want it to accent the tobacco and

not just induce a metabolic reaction. Some pipe smokers really do seek out the maximum bodily

reaction, but not me. Nicotine kick doesn't repel me, but I don't want it with most bowls.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
The nicotine is very strong, and I find the flavour more harsh than strong.
As pipestud said, get the ready rubbed. I have the unrubbed cylinder as well, and, failing a machete, a table saw is the only way to cut coins. Very messy.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I used to smoke Tambolaka regularly but for whatever reason stopped. Others say that it is very flavorful but my memory calls it bland.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Its OK when mixed with Condor and Black Twist then you get the nicotine equivalent of a H Bomb but I just don't like the way it ghosts a pipe.

pipedood

Lurker
Jun 6, 2014
I found Tambolaka to be a two dimensional version of G&H Dark Flake. I'm glad I tried it just for the novelty, but not one that will dwell in my cellar.

joeray

Might Stick Around
Mar 17, 2014
Indonesia
My wife had throwed me out when i smoke tambolaka, it's native is from east Sumba. The smells is almost like cigar but much more stronger and powerful so if i dont sip it slowly it will choke me out, i found away to make it more smother but without loosin any taste and flavor is mix it with pure virginia from Lombok Island.

Status
Not open for further replies.