PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
peck, I was just looking at that pipe thinking how cool it was. I resisted my impulse to grab it mostly because I don't smoke Churchwardens either. I think the green color and that shape is awesome, definitely a huge stretch from my normal buying but it did call to me. I can't wait to hear how it smokes, you need to fire that baby up when you get it. Congrats on your new pipe.

jkenp

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
NW Indiana
Looks like a fox head more than a goblin to me. I can see why you couldn't resist. And, it may be the only green pipe I'd be willing to own.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Yowza! I just got Trever's email, an I was in the garage breaking my piggy bank open to count my pennies ... and, Bam! Just like that - the pipe was gone. Congrats.

Jan 8, 2013
After seeing your pipe, I had to see if he had a website, and I found this insanely beautiful pipe. No... I didn't buy it. Well out of my price range right now. But this thing is stunning. http://www.talbertpipes.pair.com/talbert-catalog/1303t.shtml

lqjones

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2013
I can see why you bought that. It is way too cool. Let us know how it smokes.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Trever's pipes are indeed in demand. ( See recent eBay action on past Halloween pipes which go for well over a grand, used). But if you get on his email list you can have first dibs on a Talbert pipe. His LB (Lign Breton) (sp?) line is very affordable at around $135 or so, and is of very high quality. I have a few of those and they are really great smokers.

Dec 24, 2012
Worth $400-$500US?
No, I think not.
I guess that "worth" is determined by the market. As you said, he has no trouble selling them. Personally, I don't think the price is all that bad given all the hours that go into making a pipe, let along the cost of the briar and the vulcanite or acrylic. Moreover, I wonder how many pipes are started and have to be "chucked" because something goes wrong or a major flaw is found. $400-$500 is a good dinner for two at a gourmet restaurant (with wine, granted), and if you spend it on a pipe, at least you own something when its over (though I grant you, buying a pipe doesn't increase your chances of getting laid like a good dinner can!).

Dec 24, 2012
Roth,
I don't think that's totally fair. You don't need to make in the 7 figures to buy a pipe in that range. I do make an above average income, but I ain't rolling in it. Just saying - things are pricey these days, and people have to pick and choose what they spend their disposable income on, however much that may be.
And I also don't think there are too many artisan pipemakers driving Rolls Royces, even if they can sell pipes in that price range. They clearly have a great deal of overhead and costs. I think it's a tough business they are in, for the most part.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Not my cup of green tea..but there's no denying the craftsmanship on that one, blast and stem. I have never smoked a Churchwarden but if you are jumping in that pool, go deep with a Talbert!
Btw, I always get his email notifcation about 12 hours after he sends it. Yep, just ghostly remains are all that is left.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Ok, this was an impulse buy. I mean, I don't even like to smoke churchwardens, so what was I thinking?
I'll Tell what you were thinking. You were thinking Damn thats the coolest thing ive ever seen. and i agree it is absolutely, undoubtedly a very cool looking pipe.
And besides you need a pipe for ever season, holiday, occasion , event etc.

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
That's an awesome looking pipe, peck. I never seem to catch them in time. Even with email notification. Enjoy the smokes.

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks guys.
I never seem to catch them in time. Even with email notification.
I know what you mean on this. Every time I get one of Talbert's e-mails, I go immediately to his site and everything is sold! Maybe mine are coming way late as well - I never thought about it or checked when the e-mails were sent. This time I was quite surprised when I went to his site to see both Goblins available. I waxed and waned and chose this one. Truth be told, I don't expect I will smoke this one all that often, but I think it will look really cool sitting on my magnetic pipe stand in my office.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
You never know Peck, my Stanwell churchwarden is one of my favourite smokers and I smoke it way more often then I thought I would. It's a smoke in a deep chair in the man cave kinda smoke but you may really enjoy it. Very cool looking pipe.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It is an incredible looking pipe but I would guess the size and weight of the bowl will make it a little awkward to smoke.
Talbert pipes are expensive but they do hold up well on the resale market. I hope to be able to get one someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.