PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
It's not even close to the largest collection of pipes, but it is fun to see the evolution of my collection. I haven't looked at all my personal pipes together since early 2014, and there have been quite a few adds and removals in the intervening months. Seeing the trends in what I add impact the final assemblage is fun too... Damn pipe buying is addictive.
Here is the collection as it stands today.

Here is where it was 18 months ago (or so).

Yep. It's been a busy year and a half....

hiplainsdrifter

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 8, 2012
You have been busy! I love those Comoys Bulldogs. Both the straight and the bent are sublime.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
That LHS in the first picture in my favorite. I just won one on those on eBay a couple of days ago and am looking forward to receiving it.
Is that a Tom Howard right next to it?
Very nice collection!

joshb83

Can't Leave
Feb 25, 2015
What a great show of profession of the collection. Also, it shows the mental state of a full on PAD:)

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
Love it! I can't get enough of seeing pipe collections. You have a lot of great looking pipes!
Wish we had a "My Collection" thread.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Nice, about the same size collection as me except I simply buy estates in the 10-15$ range whereas you seem to have concentrated more on acquiring certain shapes etc... I really want some bulldogs though, nice pipes. My collection grew quite fast after I found an antique shop that always has tons of estates, all marked in the 10-15$ range. So I went from about 3 pipes to 30 or so in the span of a year or less.

menuhin

Oct 21, 2014
Your collection bred quickly in 16 months and they look better and better!

What are some of the billiard pipes?
Oh.... And the yellow meerschaum somewhat reminds me of Big Bird in Sesame Street. :puffy:

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The bent pipe with a thick walled bowl is becoming my favorite kind of pipe. Bulldog, Rhodesian, Apple, Acorn, whatever...as long as it has a gracefully bent stem or stem and shank and thick walls, is made from a nice piece of briar...and of course, is properly constructed on its insides.

I see that that's been your progression as well.

I enjoy holding both smooth and textured finishes. I do like to clench quite a bit, and the bend in a stem or shank seems to help in that regard.

Ideally, I think that a pipe should weigh less than 2 oz. for it to be comfortable as a hanger.

styler

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 31, 2014
What's the rusticated rhodesian on the right side with the angular cut outs? Sorry, still pretty new to this pipe smoking malarky and I'm terrible at identifying pipes. I just thought that one looked pretty unique.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for all the comments gang. PAD certainly is an interesting phenomenon.
You do know that you're doomed, don't you.
Says the hierophant of collecting... at least I'm in good company!
What are some of the billiard pipes?
The three billiards (from left to right on the right hand rack) are:

1) A group 1 Dunhill Shellbriar from 1974 (birthyear)

2) A Sasieni patent fishtail 4 dot (pre-city stampings)

3) A Philip Trypis grade 5 billiard, group 2 equivalent
The bent pipe with a thick walled bowl is becoming my favorite kind of pipe. Bulldog, Rhodesian, Apple, Acorn, whatever...as long as it has a gracefully bent stem or stem and shank and thick walls, is made from a nice piece of briar...and of course, is properly constructed on its insides.

I see that that's been your progression as well.
Actually, I'm a little divergent... I love the chunky slightly bent Bulldog/Rhodesian and to a lesser degree the prince or apple. But I equally enjoy a long shanked Canadian or Lumberman. Most of my buying in the last while has been in the bent and chunky camp, but when I see a long shank that suits I snap it up. There's a 70's Castello Sea Rock with a red acrylic stem on the left hand rack which is the perfect example of that. Mike put it up for sale at Briar Blues and I had to snap it up. It is a sublime smoker.
Nice, about the same size collection as me except I simply buy estates in the 10-15$ range whereas you seem to have concentrated more on acquiring certain shapes etc... I really want some bulldogs though, nice pipes.
That's how I started too. Then I lucked into two purchases of NOS pipes that I was able to turn around and re-sell for a good profit. This bankrolled my investment in pipe refurbishing tools and equipment, and now I use my hobby to pay for itself. The pipes in my collection were all bought and paid for by the sale of other pipes. I've moved over 150 to end up with this collection.
The only pipes that I've purchased new were the artisan pipes, every other pipe in that collection was bought as an estate.
What's the rusticated rhodesian on the right side with the angular cut outs?
I think you are referring to the Sea Star bulldog from Yves at Ygrek Pipes. He`s a talented carver out of Basel. Here is a link to the thread on that pipe.
http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/ygrek-pipes-sea-star-a-bulldog-commission
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.