PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Loving the pipe hobby, but I am really taking my lumps when I have been trying to go cheap on buying pipes.

A while ago I bought a pretty beat up Savinelli Oscar and broke the stem trying to wrestle it out of the shank.

Any advice on who would might have a replacement stem available?

My next estate is a Barclay Rex that has the opposite issue and the stem is so loose it slips right out of the shank.

I have read on here that beeswax might help... Just have no idea where to find some. Any other tricks to tighten things up?

I even tried the cheap route on new pipes and bought a Mr Brog Amigo. I really like the pipe, but on closer inspection, after my second smoke, drilling on the stem is way off center. I guess I am okay with it. I still get a great smoke from it and don't mind taking it apart to clean it.

The next step is I guess I will have to step up and buy something a little nicer. My wife bought me a really nice Savinelli when we visited Nat Sherman this past fall.

She has since sort of soured on my pipe smoking and isn't crazy about me spending money on pipes.

She doesn't have an exact count on what I have so I am going to have to sneak it in somehow :-P

Jim

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
She doesn't have an exact count on what I have so I am going to have to sneak it in somehow
:rofl:
I bought an old BBB that had a very loose stem and bees wax fixed it perfectly. Rothnh has a great tip about walmart - never thought of that.
I also made some bad purchases early on. Mostly old, cheap estates. I think it goes with the territory when starting out. I wasted so much $$ (well, not *that* much, but still) that I also made the decision to step up and get some decent pipes and SO glad I did (even if my wallet sheds a little tear every time I open it).

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
actually if your not looking for fancy I find that cobs smoke just as good as anything and they are cheap. Also I do have a Dr Grabow that smokes really well and is inexpensive.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
One of my favorites is a Doc Grabow Royalton at $32, but I know the feeling. I've come to realize that it's less about the pipes, and more about the tobacco. At least, that's what I tell myself when money is tight, like right now.
I have fancy looking pipes that don't smoke as well as my less expensive, less "fashionable" pipes. The only pipe I have that makes the smoke taste any better, is my meerschaum.
BUT to answer your question, if you need to save money, just order a new stem from pipe makers emporium, or jhlowe.com, and use a couple of sheets of sand paper on the tenon until it fits your pipe.
If you want it done professional, Norwood Pipe Repair did a fantastic job re-stemming a pipe of mine. I had to pay for shipping both ways + $17, but he did a better job than I could with the tools I have.

topd

Lifer
Mar 23, 2012
Emerson, Arkansas
Just an idea: If you're getting your estates from eBay, have other forum members help you take a look at it.

You can't tell everything from photo's, but a few different sets of eyes may spot flaws that one set may miss.

(Nothing wrong with buying a pipe with damage or flaws to get it inexpensively, but you want to make sure it's

repairable damage!)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
My advice would be to stop trying to buy unrestored estates until you have a little more experience and knowledge. Buy restored estates from a reputable dealer - many of this site's sponsors are very reputable sellers of estate pipes.
The next step is I guess I will have to step up and buy something a little nicer.
Bingo. If you can afford it, skip the Grabows and Brogs and all of that stuff. Buy one nice Savinelli/Peterson/Stanwell instead of 3 low-end pipes.
And your wife may not be so sour on this when she sees you getting something you can smoke, instead of throwing money down a rat hole by buying crap. You're always in better shape being straight, instead of trying to hide stuff.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
My advice would be to stop trying to buy unrestored estates until you have a little more experience and knowledge. Buy restored estates from a reputable dealer - many of this site's sponsors are very reputable sellers of estate pipes.
+1 Jud

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Just an idea: If you're getting your estates from eBay, have other forum members help you take a look at it.
+1 I've done this and glad I did.
+1

twangthang

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
Thanks for all the replies! Some great advice!

I have to defend myself on one front though... Cheapness...lol

The wife went from being supportive to against the whole idea of pipes. She tends to think pipes are the same thing as cigarette smoking. Although I quit smoking 15 years ago and have no plans to rejoin that habit she thinks that is where pipes are leading me.

Her way of keeping me from continuing this path lol... is to tell me any purchase I make is expensive and a waste of money. She has been to the local tobacco store and sees what a decent pipe goes for. I'm already a bit of a crazy do-it-yourselfer... so buying estates and fixing them up is just tits on an already cool hobby.

I did the cob grab bag thing from MM and love them for work and around the house. They smoke great.

For now I'll keep looking at estates and learning to refurbish them... As I get better I will start to pick up better pipes.

I will still be drooling after the nicer stuff, but will be making my purchases of higher quality a bit fewer and further between.

Now tobacco collecting... that is another thing altogether! :twisted:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Twangthang:
I was never able to find the smaller portions of beeswax in my local retail outlets. I mentioned that in a forum post and Beekeeper sent me enough to supply an army. PM me your address and I'll gladly send you a hunk, friend.
Just remember that a little of this stuff goes a very long way.
Fnord

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
Glad to see you got the MM cobs. Around here in Dallas, you pay $5 a pipe, and they don't smoke any worse than my others, and don't need to be rested as much. Plus, they have personality, like a blue collar working man's single shot shotgun behind the farmer's front door.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
You can sometimes get beeswax at a sporting goods store. They use the wax in fly tying and sometimes in archery.

If you are desperate, you can by a new wax ring toilet seal which is made of beeswax. I know it sounds gross but the wax is clean... I would not recommend a used toilet seal :D ...

Status
Not open for further replies.