PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
See if you can find anything that suits your tastes. There's something here for (mostly) anyone. :)

P.S. - I blame this forum for ALL of that pile. ;)

texmexpipe

Oct 20, 2014
There are several blends there that I've yet to try. Penzance, OGS, and Wessex, but I can't seem to find the last one ever. Nice stash!

elpfeife

Lifer
Dec 25, 2013
jmatt I take no responsibility for your tobacco downfall. I distinctly remember warning you to flee from here when you first posted. All I can say to you now is keep up the good work! :clap:

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
When I first got the WCDF I was so anxious to try it. First bowl and I thought....meh....whatever.
But over time it was the first full tin I finished. It really grew on me and of everything there, it's one of my favorites. I've smoked some of each variety EXCEPT the MM965, Penzance, Margate, and the 3 C&D tins at the back right.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
jmatt I take no responsibility for your tobacco downfall. I distinctly remember warning you to flee from here when you first posted. All I can say to you now is keep up the good work!
True that is. :)
It just makes sense though. First, you gotta buy enough today so eventually you're smoking a bunch of 10 year aged tobaccos. Also, with taxes and regulation, I firmly believe pipe tobacco will never again be as available and affordable as it is today.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Nice collection!

I firmly believe pipe tobacco will never again be as available and affordable as it is today

I could not agree more-- even with regular inflation, the prices keep creeping up. Smart to buy and hold IMO.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
That's an impressive gathering in such short time. My own pales in comparison, however I feel comfortable enough with what I've got on hand to taste a nice variety of classic flavors. That doesn't mean I've STOPPED my TAD, it just means I'm not AS frantic or anxious to 'get some o dis'.
Also, with taxes and regulation, I firmly believe pipe tobacco will never again be as available and affordable as it is today.
That looks like a truism. Another I face is that I won't live forever.

It is an act of faith and hope to acquire years worth of smoking material. I realize you can't smoke money and that there is a concerted effort to thwart and eradicate tobacco consumption, but I have to balance my approach with the reality of my potential life span.
When you think about it, what is there that we must purchase that WON'T become more precious as time goes by?

I will say that I'd prefer to own a cache of tobacco than bullets.( there seems a parallel anxiety with guns and ammo )
Next up for elimination? Automobiles. Start cellaring gasoline, oil, tires, and batteries.

minfarshaw

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2014
Hahahah! I'm three months in too and I thought I had it bad until I saw your pile. I have about 5 lbs of tobacco in me. I just get a bunch when I try something I like. I think they will age quite nicely considering I smoke only about and ounce or two a week. Enjoy your tobacco and keep hoarding. It's good for the soul. Lol.

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Yes, tobacco will get you through tough times better than no tobacco and tough times. :lol:
Nice selection! Just keep adding to it! Get a flat air tight container and put the Penzance bags in it. Extra protection.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
Damn! That much in three months?!

You're on your way to one hell of a cellar at that rate!

It's taken me nearly 7 years to accumulate my 50+ pounds. At the rate you're going, you'll probably have 4 or 5 times that much at 7 years!

Way to go!
Edit.

I should probably say that for about 5 of those years, I only kept a pound or two on hand at any time.

I started seriously cellaring about 2 years ago, and piled it on pretty quick myself. I've kinda slacked off in the last few months though.

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Yup. Tobaccocellar.com says I've got right at 13 pounds cellared. I've got just over 3 pounds open, but sealed in mason jars. I'm guessing I smoke at the rate of about three pounds a year. So my goal is a cellar of at least 30-40 pounds, then just buy about 4 pounds a year thereafter. So eventually I'll have about 4 pounds hitting the 10 year mark every year.
The real trick seems to be knowing/guessing what I'll be interested in smoking in ten years. Maybe I'll need to cellar double what I think I want for myself and I'll end up having extra 10 year aged stock to sell off at some point. Who knows. And really.....who cares. :)

saint007

Dec 22, 2013
I'll be glad to trade you some Molto Dolce for the Mac Virginia #1, the Sam Gawith Best Brown, the Old Growie, and Wessex Brigade Campaign. :wink:

Oct 12, 2014
"The real trick seems to be knowing/guessing what I'll be interested in smoking in ten years. Maybe I'll need to cellar double what I think I want for myself and I'll end up having extra 10 year aged stock to sell off at some point"
Yup..I used to smoke Lat blends like there was no tomorrow. That was about 10-12 years ago. Now I rarely touch them, there more of a change of pace for me. Your taste can/may change as time goes on. But just to be sure cellar ALL TYPES so you're prepared :)

jmatt

Aug 25, 2014
Agree Melvin. I can accept the need for a lot more varieties. I have a decent mix for starters. Some Virginia, some VaPer and VaBur. Some English/Latakia and just a little "Balkan."
I've got three more Balkans on my wishlist: White Knight, Black House, and Blue Mountain. And I want some Haddos. It was the first tobacco I smoked when I first tried the pipe back in 2002. I know it has fans and detractors, but I'd like some in the cellar.
I probably also need some Stonehaven......
See how this devolves? I feel like Steve Martin in "The Jerk."
The Virginia. That's all I need......

.....and this Perique. I need that too.

This Virginia and this VaPer. That's all I need.....
....and this Balkan blend. I need that....
And so it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.