PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Bought my wife three rings from a catalog, for anniversary and maybe one for Chridtmas, using a gift card rebate from the power company for buying a HVAC system that is energy efficient. That used up most of the gift card, but to use the rest, I ordered a solo tin of Dunhill Apertif from PC. I'll use up the remaining two or three bucks at the grocery rounding out my check-out, I guess. Apertif looked tasty, and I like the condiment use of Cavendish which often smooths out the smoke, and like that it got five stars on customer reviews. Anyone like this stuff?

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm a big fan of Aperitif. Not so much that I went overboard when I found out about the demise of Dunhill, but I have maybe 6-7 tins on hand to hold on to, and pop open when the mood strikes. To me, the combination of Cavendish and Latakia is a really good one, though I have to be in the mood for it. If you like Latakia blends, but aren't looking for a Lat-bomb, I think you'll like it. And the tin art is a winner too.

milehighpiper

Can't Leave
Sep 10, 2018
Denver, CO
I managed to get my hands on a tin and I enjoyed the complex flavors from this blend. I liked it better than Nightcap! There! I said it!

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
I'm a fan. I bought two tins of it a couple months ago, one to smoke and one to age for a while. To me, it's like 965 (one of my favorites) but a bit more complex. It's not as "buttery" or latakia-forward as 965, but well balanced. Apertif is similar to 965 in the strength department.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
I'm looking forward to opening a tin and taking it out for a spin. You guys make it sound so good.

pianopuffer

Can't Leave
Jul 3, 2017
NYC
It was one of the first blends that I "got". I find myself reaching for it over others like it in my rotation, even to this day.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Another English blend making good use of Cavendish is C&D Tuggle Hall 965. I don't think it is particularly similar to 965, but I like the blend a lot. I think I'll enjoy Apertif.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
I'm also quite partial to C&D Old College for an English blend with Cavendish. The Cavendish is never center stage, but it does a great job of helping the burn characteristics.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Cavendish adds volume to the smoke, gives it more mouth feel and more drama in the air above you, and smoke rings sometimes spontaneously. It's not a fetish with me, but a nice plus factor.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
One of my favorites, but I loaded up on Durbar a bit more.......... These blends don't reach their peak until 10+ years in the tin....... :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
beefeater, I do tend to give a new tin quite a rest on the shelf, but I'm not sure I'll make it to the ten year mark. Sooner or later, I shuffle the tins, find one I like, and go ahead and pop it. I have several Dunhill blends that have been around for years, and some McClellands, SPC, and Mac Baren, among others.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Aperitif ... there, I've spelled it correctly (I hope) at least this once in the thread. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.