PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

justdafacts

Lurker
Oct 31, 2017
OK, so I have picked up the pipe for less than 6 months now, but I have been aggressively trying different mixtures of tobacco, and I have come to enjoy some and dislike others. I am still researching and studying the different types of tobacco and trying to figure out which mixes possess the types and amounts that my taste would prefer.
Early on, the local B&M suggested Lane 1-Q. It was ok, but I have since discovered that others that I like much better have made me lose the taste for Lane 1-Q. I tried Early Morning Pipe and hated it.
I absolutely love Frog Morton Cellar, and I am also gaining a fondness to Old Dog. Is it weird that I also bought Frog Morton -on the town, and I had a difficult time telling much difference (only slight) from Cellar? A friend has been smoking a pipe for many years, and he recommended "Balkan Blue". I like it, but surprisingly (at least to him) I did not love it. Three types that I keep smoking and still on the fence about are Nightcap, Elizabethan Mixture, and Aperitif. I like the hint of spice (Perique?), but do not feel for it every day. I actually have enjoyed and bought a couple tins of Macanudo. It burns well, and I like the hint of vanilla.
Lastly, in the evenings, I have grown to appreciate and enjoy Capt. Earles Nightwatch.
OK, so that laid out, please review my trials and shoot me recommendations of where to go next.
Thank you!
Justdafacts

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Sutliff Medium English
Larry's Blend
McClelland Bombay Court
McClelland Dark Star
McClelland 24 or 27, Blackwoods
Samuel Gawith Fine Virginia Flake
Orlik Golden Slices
Sutliff Aromatic English (slightly sweeter than the Frogs)
Viprati (or any number of other VaPers)
Samuel Gawith Grousemoor

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
Peter Stokebbye makes some good Latakia blends such as
Balkan Supreme

English Oriental Supreme

Proper English
If you still want to stick with aromatics I'd suggest mixing the following:
Lane's 1Q and Lane's BCA (50-50)
A crowd pleaser for sure and it tastes great.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Con brio
Gl Pease Fillmore,

Sam Gawith: 1792, Sam’s Flake, Lakeland Dark, Kendall creme flake, Skiff Mixture, St James Flake

Gawith Hoggarth: Dark Flake, Coniston Cut Plug, Brown Flake #2

MacBaran: Old Dark Fired, St Bruno,

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Three types that I keep smoking and still on the fence about are Nightcap, Elizabethan Mixture, and Aperitif. I like the hint of spice (Perique?), but do not feel for it every day. I actually have enjoyed and bought a couple tins of Macanudo. It burns well, and I like the hint of vanilla.
* English/Scots blends

* Va/Pers

* Vanilla Cavendish/Virginia
In the first category, you might explore My Mixture 965 and other Englishes. Helpful forum members have mentioned some here.
In the second category, the Savinelli Doblones d'Oro is top-ranked for me, followed by interesting blends like Hal O' The Wynd.
For the third, it is important to balance this against your dislike of 1-Q, which is essentially the same thing but goopier. This implies more a level of flavorings that you are comfortable with than any particular flavoring.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Any of the McClelland's Grand Orientals line with my favorite being Yenidje Highlander. It's discontinued but there are tins available online.
Also I would highly recommend Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Twist Flake.
And of course C&D's Black Frigate.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It is smart to have a fairly long list of blends you can enjoy since FDA regs and the possible loss of Dunhill blends, ostensibly due to a corporate decision, could eliminate various blends you currently enjoy. Blends that were marketed before 2007 are better bets than others, except for the Dunhill brand which is in jeopardy for other reasons.
Two aros and two non you might try in small samples are Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic and Iwan Ries Three Star Blue, and C&D Billy Budd and Nat Sherman 536.

sugaplum480

Lurker
Sep 24, 2012
Mesa, AZ
I really enjoy Capt' Earls nightwatch also.
Old Ironsides is a great one

Sutliff Blend No. 5

G.L. Pease Gaslight

Capt. Earls Ten Russians

Status
Not open for further replies.