Tabac Vincent Manil Semois - Has anyone felt that it tastes like a beedi?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
A beedi is a ethnic Indian cigarette. Image below - and more details on the wikipedia link.
Beedi is an ethnic hand-rolled cigarette, and is smoked by poorest of the people. However, most smokers of Indian origin have probably smoked it during their student days, though few will admit it. Some studies say that it is now getting elevated in terms of social status, and some dedicated smokers would show off their beedi.
When I opened the package, the note immediately reminded me of beedi. So much so, even before I put it in a pipe, I rolled one in a RYO and it was the familiar old taste (Although beedis are wrapped in a specific leaf and not paper)
I then smoked it in a pipe. It reconfirmed that this tobacco tastes like beedi, though in a meerschaum pipe, the flavor profile was slightly different (In a better way).
This is a fantastic tobacco on its own - but some nostalgia from college days make it doubly pleasurable. It is amazing how two different tobacco products, from two different countries taste the same!!!
Also note - Beedi is exported both to USA and UK. However the beedi which is exported is often with an aromatic topping, which is not the same beedi poor people smoke.
Wikipedia article - Beedi
220px-Beedies.jpg

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Oh man, I've smoked more than my share of beedis. I live in a city that has a pretty high Indian population, and so these were easily found. They used to sell them in flavors, and that's what we preferred as youngsters. As I got older, I would just get the regular, unflavored ones occasionally. I still know of a few places you can get a pack. The last time I had a beedi was probably 4 or 5 years ago when I bought a pack just out of nostalgia. From memory, there is some similarity in that cigar-like earthiness, but Semois is fuller in body and richer.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
The place I bought that last pack, I had to ask the Indian owner of the store. They were not displayed publicly, and did not have a tax stamp.
The other product I have seen more often is this chewing tobacco. It is sold in little packets for like $1. I tried some. It is very strong, and has some stems and rough piecess that make it a bit unpleasant to park in your lip. Flavored with oils and things like incense and Lakeland type stuff. I am not sure if the product is called khaini, or if that is just a brand name?
World_Class_Premium_Blend_001.2212637_std.jpg

It is called Khaini. It is not a brand name. It is a type of chewing tobacco. It is not supposed to be flavored in the traditional form. It is very hard core though. I tried only a couple of times... and not the real thing, but the flavored type you posted which is supposedly milder.
In other words ... India has a large variety of chewing tobacco and I have no experience in most of them.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I tried bidi's decades ago during my 1 month rotation to Turkey for military training. We got to spend a day in Istanbul, a most memorable experience. Bidi's and Tuborg beer...
It's hard to remember exactly how the bidi's tasted to me, but I found them enjoyable.
jay-roger.jpg

I would advise against them. I have smoked them a lot when I was unemployed for 3 months long time ago. Once in a while is fine, but on a regular basis it will add fuel for early onset COPD. I am against any tobacco product which requires you to inhale.
@Jay beedis taste bitter, tobacco-ish.
Cheers,

Chris :puffpipe:

In absolute terms beedi’s are bad - There is no doubt about that.

In terms of taste though and the room note - I felt Semois is very similar.
Semois is artisanal - There is a strong quality control there is going on. However, there is distinct similarities with the beedi - Specifically the small beedis (which are less than one and half inches in size and tends to be fuller bodied)
When smoked in a pipe Semois give out a set of complex flavors. This comes from the cadence from burning it slow. A beedi does not. It is a much simpler smoke.

Since it felt like a beedi, I also smoked Semois as a RYO. Smoked as RYO the beedi similarity is even more pronounced

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Yeah, I hand-rolled some of my semois when I had it, too. I found it to be a bit too much on the earthiness front smoked like that. It helped me to understand why most burley-based RYO tobaccos have VAs blended in with the Kentucky or burleys.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've never smoked a beedi of any kind, so I can't grasp the comparison. Some members have found Tabac-Manil Semois truly awful, but it is one of my favorites. It seems to require a wide-ranging love of burley leaf, since it is a variant. I find the taste something like that of a subtle elegant blend, though the medium and thick cut are single leaf. I think it may just be the earthy burley lilt of the stuff that resembles an extra-inexpensive small cigar. I find the Semois refined and subtle.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
At the time, it kind of perplexed me as I was a very new smoker. I smoked half of it in pipes. Probably rolled a third by itself into cigarettes. The rest was probably given away, and I tried some cigarette blending with a mild, sweet VA tobacco like D&R Three Sails. I very much want to buy another brick of it, as I find myself really enjoying those stout, burley based flakes and blends and I bet I'd love it now. I also found it ideal for breaking in a new Savinelli with an uncoated chamber, and great for smoking in the car as it requires so little maintenance and attention while smoking.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wouldn't recommend Semois for a new smoker. It would have confused me, big time. There are so many moderately priced easygoing burleys that are gentle and usually immediately likable, if a person is someone who can smoke burley. Some can't taste it; some despise it; and other enjoy it eventually or right away.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
@Mso489, I do agree with You same here never I'd recommend any Sort of tabac de Semois nor Italian equivalent Comune for a new smoker,as for these Indian cigarettes go, yes now as I recall similarities in taste with Semois are obvious nonetheless as or Semois I do find it much deeper yet subtle in taste,

Status
Not open for further replies.