PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Hello,

I have been thinking a lot this last year or two about Syria, its peoples trials, and the amazing legacy it has left for pipe smokers in the form of a smelly little black leaf we call Latakia! My heart breaks reading about what people have been going through over there, I am going to do some research to figure out which organisation I want to lend my support through but thought I would also ask around (including on this forum) about non profit organisations working with refugees in the area doing good work, and having a background of transparency.
If this turns into a political thread it will get removed, so I would appreciate information around organisations rather than opinions on the whole situation.

thanks!

Isaac

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
The people of this region of the world are suffering a great deal but it tends to be historic. I am not detracting from their pain but simply saying that it is a tough region to live in, and always has been. Samaritans Purse, a Franklin Graham ministry, is an excellent organization that is working in many areas of the world which are hard to reach because of political pressures. There track record for being responsible and helping the downtrodden masses has even allowed them access to very hard to reach areas such as North Korea.

delkhouri

Can't Leave
May 4, 2013
Columbus Ohio
My Father grew up in Latakia Syria and it saddens me a great deal as I have visited Syria (and all of the Mediterranean/Middle Eastern countries) and have experienced great hospitality while traveling/working/teaching in that area of the world.
There is so much need there and in other parts of the world. So if you are able to give to a charity to help out that is both generous and commendable. I just wish I could do more, or that people who COULD do more WOULD do more.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I think it's staying far enough away from politics to opine that it is simply horrific to see any country torn apart like that, and to see that many people whose lives are turned into an almost incomprehensible turmoil. I wouldn't wish it on anyone, anywhere.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Doctors Without Borders is a good one. You have to monitor whatever organization you sponsor because the factionalism and sectarianism is so violent, some great efforts are run out. The reason millions are displaced is because they are simply running for their lives, subject to be killed along with their families whatever side they take. This has been described as the largest displacement of people since World War Two; that seems accurate.

alexnorth

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2015
You're doing a good deed helping out. It is truly horrible what is happening to the people

Status
Not open for further replies.