Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
I happened upon a recent post about trouble packing the pipe. In it, one mentioned the Swirl method of packing. I'm now a believer. While I have not yet gotten this method to pack the pipe tight (the draw feels lose) I am getting a far better smoke from this verses the 3 stage method. I find my pipes smoke cooler and..... I am not having to relight often. YEA!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0XHYPso7TXs

sfsteves

Lifer
Aug 3, 2013
SF Bay Area
Until I saw the original post on this topic a few weeks ago, I'd never heard of this method despite having been a pipe smoker for 40+ years ... after watching that video, I gave it a try and was amazed ... in the interim, I've packed a few too loose at first and a couple have been too tight, but I pretty much have the hang of it at this point ... but, because it doesn't work all that well on freehands with an erose rim, I'm in no danger of losing my touch on the '3-step' method ...

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
I've been using this method almost exclusively. I love it. I barely relight and as you mentioned the smoke it cooler. Now if I could only get the accent down....

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I tried it when I first started because I had so much trouble packing my pipe and keeping it lit. It didn't help me much, however I started again (almost a year later) after the last post and I have found it needs far less re-lights when I do this method. Just packed a bowl of MacBaren Plumcake using this method last night and only needed 2 re-lights to reach the bottom of the bowl.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
I've tried it a few times but I can't quite get a tight enough of a pack. I've been using a modified Frank method and have great results with it.

andrew369

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 21, 2013
I love this method been using it exclusively recently, unless the bowl is unsuitable or the tobacco is a particularly rough cut, definitely works best with ribbon cuts. And also James Fox is one of the best stores IMO if anyone is visiting Dublin, some really unique pipe blends plus a huge selection of cigars and whiskeys.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
I've also gotten quite good at the old codger stuff and puff method with the forefinger in a pouch. Hard to do with tinned tobacco unfortunately or anything jarred up. I use that method exclusively for loading Carter Hall which is the only tobacco I keep in a pouch.

dcrguns

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 19, 2013
Ruidoso, NM
I use this method all the time for ribbon cut tobacco. For me the key is not to try to pack it too tightly. Just let the pipe fill itself and light it. Use the tamper for packing it tighter once the tobacco is lit. I am smoking mcclelland 3 oaks Syrian right now and used this method to pack the pipe. Perfect smoke. 8)

davidintexas

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 4, 2013
I have found this method to work best for me in my experience. I have only smoked ribbons so far, and I never seemed to get the 3-step method down well enough to have a consistent smoke before I came across this one. As has been said, this method most of the time seems to deliver a consistent smoke with very few, if any relights and encouraged me to keep on puffing when I was losing heart with the other.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I've been useing the Air Pack method when smoking ribbon, screwing big gob of tobbaco and none in btm of bowl, lighting just the center, really good draw and more flavor

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
This is the only method I have been using, recently. If I have to light a second time during the smoke, its the exception, not the rule. Best of luck.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Since seeing the video I have been using this method with ribbon cuts. It does pack a little too loosely for me, but I find a combo of the swirl and then adding a little on top with some pressure gives me a rather good result.

tamer291

Can't Leave
Jun 26, 2013
This method doesn't work well for me on my MM cobs. Not sure if its the small bowl size or the rigid interior of the bowl. But I love it for my briar pipes.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I do a double swirl. Swirl until the bowl is filled the first time, then apply enough pressure to push it to the bottom of the bowl. Then repeat the process. Works great for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.