PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Lately I've found myself craving the sweetest of Virginias. I really love the sweet, grassy, hay like tastes. I love Dunhill Flake, Full Virginia Flake, JALF, etc... so asked Steve (PIPESTUD) his opinion as to what is the sweetest of the genre. He responded, "Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug may be what you are looking for." This is one I haven't tried. I was less than shocked to discover something I wanted seemed out of stock everywhere, but after some searching, I discovered a few tins of the stuff at Cup O' Joes. Order placed. Any other opinions of the absolute sweetest?

Also try F&T's Blackjack. I wasn't that impressed with the plug, but it wasn't bad.

Annie Cake by Hearth and Home is a sweet with the sprinkling of perique adding almost a pastry like spice to it. Marble Cake is the base Virginia for Annie Cake, and it's great too.
OGS is another, although some will swear till swords and blood and demons come out their eyes that this is a VaPer, no one except one strange little super-taster monk living in the hills of the Malayans Mountains can taste any in there.
And, I take it that you mean sweet, without the casing adding sweet, correct?

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
I love F&T Cut VA Plug! It really is super sweet. I find Darkstar to be a very sweet VA blend with a good bit of tang too. Also similar but very different is Blackwoods Flake.

GH&co Curley Cut Delux... I swear this is the same Virginias used in Escudo, without the perique. It has a slight seasoning, spiciness, but if you like the base flavor of Escudo, this is one to try.
Skip all MacBaron Products...
McClelland's Sundowner and Aurora are excellent blends of different hues of Virginias. Master level work.
Also for a sample of the Blackeney process in Virginias, you've got to try Tawny Flake.
And, for the sweetest, McClelland Matured Virginias No. 27.

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Wessex Campaign Dark Flake tastes like Frosted Flakes to me. I think it's the sweetest 'straight' Virginia I've smoked. I find it to be sweeter than F&T CVP.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
That's funny I've been keeping my eye out for F&T CVP as I've been wanting to try it. I didn't purchase from COJ because I'm in NY and would have to pay 75% tax on it plus sales tax.
Let us know how you like it. I just got in a tin of their special brown flake. I'll be trying it out tonight for the first time. I also got in at the same time a tin of Wessex brigade campaign dark flake. I'm also looking to try F&T cut blended plug and their blackjack.
Capstan Blue I hear is pretty sweet.
Cosmic how does 24 compare to 27? I just got a tin of it in. I don't really get any taste from va's and va/per but I'm looking to smoke more of it to see if it's an acquired taste. I've got about a pound of 4 year old Anni Cake that I need to try.

24 has a bit of Oriental wang to it, but it's been a while since I've had it.

27 is just a straight up well stoved bright Virginia. Just imagine how sweet an apple is, and then take that same apple and heat it till it caramelizes the sugars. That is what the stove process does to the Virginias.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Thanks. I'll have to try the 27 now.
Vink I heard klondike gold is great but haven't smoked my tin yet.

codecreatively

Can't Leave
Sep 17, 2014
I have some McClelland St. James Woods from 2002 that's like candy, almost too sweet for me. If you really want a good natural sweetness, cellar some of that stuff ;)

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The sweetest I have tried thus far is Mac Baren Virginia No. 1. I believe the sweetness comes from a topping or casing though... still perdy good and might satisfy your cravings.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
Dark Star is great, but it takes a little prep. If you have an herb grinder handy, it makes quick prep of it. But, yes, de-lis-cious.
That's what I was going to suggest. Veeerrry sweet and also more of a fullness than most straight VA's

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Wessex Campaign Dark Flake tastes like Frosted Flakes to me. I think it's the sweetest 'straight' Virginia I've smoked. I find it to be sweeter than F&T CVP.
The Wessex Campaign has a more rounded, sort of figgy, raisiny sweetness to it. The F&T CVP has a more tobacco-ey sweetness to me. Both are excellent 'sweet' choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.