PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Can anyone recommend a really good non-aro tobacco that has a lot of bright virginia in it? From what I understand this is the most naturally "sweet" of the tobaccos?

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I haven't had it , but some folks swear by Bright CR Flake by Gawith & Hoggarth.
Solani 633 has plenty of sweet bright VAs, plus some Perique. One of my favorites.
It's not a pure VA, but GLP Triple Play has some of the most amazing bright VAs in it, along with Perique and Dark Fired Kentucky.

MacBarren's Virginia #1, bright, honey sweet, but bites, tingly on the toungue for me stops shortly after smoking, but I love it. If puffed too hard, will scorch.
Astleys #109, bright , hay tones, slightly sweet, salty, and stoves very well as its smoked, so a good burn for a tall narrow chamber pipe.
S&G's Full Virginia Flakes, FVF, hay tones, lots of different flavrs, depending on how you pack it, but very wet. I recommend some dry time, or else it's like trying to light asbestos.
McClelland's Red Cake, bulk, red Virginians, breadlike aroma, for the experienced smoker who can pull nuances of a very, very light tasting tobacco. However, it will bite if you don't smoke slow enough, and I.. mean... sllllloooooowwwww. Mellows out more with age.
Klondike Gold, Blackjack, Vintage Flakes, Newminster's Superior Navy Flakes, Golden Slices, the list goes on and on. My first full Virginia flake was Astleys. It really made my briars sing, once I caught on to what the flavor was that I was looking for.
Good luck, and smoke on...

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Really if you want a sweet Va, I'd go with McClellend's Fragrant Matured cake or PS Luxury twist flake. I don't know if they're technically aro's or not, there's definitely a topping, but it is sweet but still a Va. I guess it depends on your version of what you want a sweet Va to be. For me, I'd want it to be sweet, which both of these will give you. McC's Fragrant Mature cake is delicious, like a dessert kind of sweet, but you still taste the Va. PS LTF is nowhere near as good imo but about half the cost.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I don't know how much pipe-smoking experience you have, Monty, but if you're willing to work with a blend, I'd highly recommend Rattray's Hal o' the Wynd. But this one will only deliver its rich sweetness if you smoke it very slowly. Otherwise, it's going to feel like a good but not exceptional Virginia. Smoke it slowly enough though, and this stuff transforms into something amazing. (It's actually a great blend for learning how to smoke more slowly, since the blend changes so dramatically based on your technique.)
Bob

northernneil

Lifer
Jun 1, 2013
One of my top straight VA is Dunhill Flake. I would also recommend Erik Stokkbye's 1855. Another straight VA with a lot of natural sweetness. But it demands good technique to get the flavor.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Orlik's Golden Sliced, Cup O Joes #5, and McClelland 5100 (already mentioned as Virginia Red Cake) are a few

good choices. You may not like each one, but there are plenty of others to choose from. McClellands has a whole

series of numbered Virginias, as do at least several other blenders. There are red, bright, and blends of just

Virginias. I'd sample some bulk Virginias in minimal quantities, one or two ounces, to get a range on some

you will especially like. I haven't tried, but am interested in McClelland 805 Carolina Deluxe which is a Virginia

blend.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I'd also encourage you to check out dark-stoved VA flakes. They can be incredibly sweet. Dark Star is the king, IMO, but it's a tough one to work with. Butera's Dark Stoved is much easier to work with and still delivers a wonderful Virginia flavor.
Bob

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I hadn't considered bulks, but Eastern Carolina Bulk Ribbon is pure bright VAs. It's very mild, but at the very least it would provide a baseline for exploring other bright VAs and blends.
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/3407/mcclelland-bulk-eastern-carolina-ribbon

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
+1 on MacBaren Virginia #1, Dunhill Flake, Orlik's Golden Sliced, McConnell Scottish Cake
Also, I have not tried the Fribourg & Treyer Golden Mixture but their Vintage Flakes

are a lot like the MacBaren Va #1 with less topping/casing.
If you like some Perique in there, H&H Louisiana Red is made with two Red Va's and is quite tasty.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
I'll second Dunhill Flake. Also, Rotary Navy Cut, Capstan Blue as well, Sillem's Mayor 1814 Flake, and Fribourg & Treyer's Cut Virginia Plug.
In my experiences though, almost any pure Virginia will be naturally sweet.

Mar 1, 2014
My best recommendation for a sweet, all natural tobacco would be the premium VaPers. I've tried St. James Flake and Escudo so far, and each one is about as good as the other, that being very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.